Dual-Boot WinXP Pro & Win98 SE on One HDD

• Thread starter DoomKingUK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hdd
In summary, you can install any operating system on a single hard drive using the boot.ini file. However, you may have to edit the file to allow the new OS to start automatically.
DoomKingUK
DoomKingUK here askin'...

I want to be able to boot from 'Winxp pro' or 'Win98 se' using ONE hdd.

Is this possible because i had xp pro installed and used 'Partition magic 8'
to "install another operating system" to install 'Win98se' thinking it wouldn't
change the xp partition cos fat32 doesn't see ntfs.

It worked great in 98se BUT i CANNOT boot from xp anymore :cry:
I tried setting the xp partition active using 'fdisk' then restarting. Xp started
to load up but i got 2 program files not found error with blue screen and it
just kept rebooting and trying again up to the same
:grumpy: point. :mad: :frown: :cry:

Computer science news on Phys.org
You need to edit the boot.ini file

I have gotten a pc to dual boot two operating systems with the following method
- I put in a disk (Fix It utilities version 6) and shut down. On reboot, it went to a partition manager where I deleted my current XP partition.
-I then the disk to create two partitions on my hdd, one was fat32 and the other was ntfs.
-After taking the disk out and putting the 98 disk in, I rebooted and installed 98 on the fat32 partition.
- I repeated the process and installed XP on the NTFS partition.
On everyboot, I had to pick the OS or it would automatically pick XP in a set amount of seconds.
Not sure if that helped at all, it worked for me. I'm sure using a bootable disk would be much more effective than a program on your hdd.

Many thanks Mudvaynelethaldosage :)
I tried that & just got to b quick enuff 2 pick 98se if needed. The time it takes 2 decide can b changed anyway .. THANK YOU ;)

Without using partition manager, install 98 first then XP. If you install XP first, then you'd have to an XP repair. Note you need to have at least two partitions on the hard drive, one for each OS.

The partition sector code reads in the first sector, known as the boot sector, of the first active partition code. Windows ME and older OS's boot sectors read in IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS, and Windows 98 renames files to switch between two sets of IO.SYS and MDSOS.SYS which switches to reboot in MSDOS or Windows 98. Windows NT, 2000, and XP read in NTLDR, which displays a menu from boot.ini and if the older OS is choosen, loads in bootsect.dos, the oritinal boot sector image.

A triple boot is still possible. Install MSDOS first, then Windows 98/ME, then XP.

However when setting up a new set of hard drives, the partition utilities you get from the boot media (Windows 98/ME recovery disk, or XP's cd-rom) are limited and sometimes create conflicts.

I recommend "ultimate boot" (do a websearch), which is free and contains all sorts of system setup and diagnostic utilities, including partition creation and managment.

Last edited:

1. Can I install both Windows XP and Windows 98 on the same hard drive?

Yes, it is possible to dual-boot Windows XP Professional and Windows 98 Second Edition on the same hard drive. However, it requires some technical knowledge and careful installation steps.

2. What are the benefits of having a dual-boot setup?

A dual-boot setup allows you to have access to two different operating systems, each with their own unique features and software compatibility. This can be useful for running legacy programs or for troubleshooting compatibility issues.

3. Is it possible to switch between the two operating systems without restarting my computer?

No, a dual-boot setup requires you to restart your computer in order to switch between operating systems. There are some virtualization options available that allow you to run multiple operating systems simultaneously, but they may not provide the same level of performance as a dual-boot setup.

4. Can I install other operating systems alongside Windows XP and Windows 98?

Yes, it is possible to have a multi-boot setup with more than two operating systems. However, the installation process may become more complex and it is important to carefully plan and research the compatibility of the different operating systems before proceeding.

5. Can I uninstall one of the operating systems from my dual-boot setup?

Yes, it is possible to uninstall one of the operating systems from your dual-boot setup. However, it is important to follow proper uninstallation procedures to ensure that your computer remains functional and the other operating system is not affected.