Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Duhamel's formula and iterates.

1. Apr 20, 2007 #1

I am having trouble understanding how to use Duhamel's formula as a contraction to give existence uniqueness theorems for certain semi linear PDE.
    To be more precise, have a look at the PDE and corresponding Duhamel formula in the wikipedia link given below:

How is the exp(tL) even rigorously, defined? I can't find this anywhere.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

L here is a differential operator. Exponentials of operators, like exponentials of matrices, are defined through the Taylor's series for ex:
    [tex]e^L= I+ L+ \frac{1}{2}L^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot + \frac{1}{n!}L^n+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]
    where the powers mean repeated application of the operator and "I" is the identity operator. Of course, that should be applied to some function:
    [tex]e^L(f)= f+ L(f)+ \frac{1}{2}L^2(f)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot + \frac{1}{n!}L^n(f)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]
    That is typically very difficult (or impossible) to evaluate for all but self-adjoint operators.
  4. Apr 20, 2007 #3
    I see. So for example, that thing would make sense if the operator L was a Laplacian?

Moreover, if that's the case, could you possibly give me an example of using that Duhamel formula as a contraction to solve a PDE problem? I've seen this sort of thing before for PDEs like the one above with u being a function of two variables and L the corresponding (spatial) laplacian, but I didn't understand how to show that the duhamel formula has a fixed point iff the PDE problem had a solution.
  5. Apr 29, 2007 #4
  6. Apr 29, 2007 #5
    HallsofIvy, that is not difficult like you see! by semigroupe theory the expression [tex]e^{tL}f [/tex] is the solution of the differential equation on Banach space : [tex]u'+Lu=0, u(0)=f[/tex], so for example for the laplacian,
    [tex]e^{t\Delta}f [/tex] is the solution of the Heat equation (for Dirichlet or Neumann conditions) wich is the gaussian kernel:wink:
  7. Mar 19, 2008 #6
    Thank you, I think I got it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?