Is a DUI a Deal Breaker for Job Applications?

• Thread starter thisisdawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary: If this is the case, you should go for it. If it's not the case, you may be better off sticking to something you're better suited for.In summary, this person messed up and got a misdemeanor DUI. They are considering going back to grad school, but whether it's a good idea or not is up for debate.
thisisdawg
Hey everyone. I messed up big time and just got a misdemeanor DUI when I went out to celebrate with friends after applying for engineering jobs and getting to the 2nd round.

I was wondering how bad of a deal breaker this is (The job requires no driving since the production is all on site). Do you think I should just go back for grad school? Also I am 22, and have nothing else on my record

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could just go to grad school anyways to do more fruitful work in engineering.

I don't know much about how DUIs affect the application.

Yeah I was thinking that myself, especially since I am in materials science/engineering. God I just can't believe how much I messed up it makes me feel sad.

As long as there are no other blemishes of significance in your history, I don't think most companies will hold it against you. If they don't ask for it, don't tell them. If they ask for this sort of thing, be forthcoming.

I know many people who have been through a rough patch like this in their lives and who bounced back to do great things. Most companies that are worth working for know this.

But please be more careful next time...

thisisdawg said:
Hey everyone. I messed up big time and just got a misdemeanor DUI when I went out to celebrate with friends after applying for engineering jobs and getting to the 2nd round.

I was wondering how bad of a deal breaker this is (The job requires no driving since the production is all on site). Do you think I should just go back for grad school? Also I am 22, and have nothing else on my record
That was stupid. Don't do it again.

Many organizations have 'fitness for duty' requirements.

One is fortunate that it's a misdemeanor, and not a felony. A felony can preclude many opportunities. Nevertheless, a misdemeanor could be held against one.

You can recover from this - just don't do it again!

Yeah seriously. I hit a pole...it could have just as well have been a person.

Seems like this actually turned out well because nobody was hurt and you learned your lesson. Everybody has done things in their life that were really stupid. I certainly have.

One way to handle this would be to admit it straightforwardly to your prospective employers, and say you've learned your lesson. I suspect that they would then not hire you, but you could go back on the job market.

There are various good and bad reasons to go to grad school. This does not strike me as a good one. Grad school is hard work, and involves postponing adulthood and security. There are no guarantees that the resulting career will outweigh those negatives. The best reason to go to grad school is because you think you'll enjoy it for its own sake.

1. Can a DUI conviction affect my ability to get a job?

Yes, a DUI conviction can potentially affect your ability to get a job. Many employers conduct background checks, and a DUI conviction may show up on your record. This can cause the employer to question your judgment, responsibility, and reliability.

2. Do I have to disclose my DUI conviction when applying for a job?

It depends on the employer and the job you are applying for. Some employers may ask about criminal convictions on their job application, and in this case, you are legally obligated to disclose your DUI conviction. However, if the application does not ask about criminal history, you may choose not to disclose the conviction.

3. Will a DUI conviction show up on a background check?

Yes, a DUI conviction will most likely show up on a background check. Background checks usually include a search for criminal records, and a DUI is considered a criminal offense. However, the specific details of the conviction, such as the date and severity, may also be included.

4. How long will a DUI conviction stay on my record?

The duration of a DUI conviction on your record will vary depending on the state you live in. In most states, a DUI conviction will stay on your record for at least 5-10 years. However, some states have longer timeframes, and in some cases, the conviction may remain on your record for life.

5. Can an employer refuse to hire me because of a DUI conviction?

Yes, an employer can legally refuse to hire you because of a DUI conviction. While some states have laws protecting individuals with criminal records from employment discrimination, a DUI conviction may still be considered a valid reason for an employer to reject a job applicant.