Randy Cunningham's Bribery & Scandal: Reaction & Opinions

• News
  • Thread starter FredGarvin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Duke
In summary: I don't know, day or week. Although he engaging in war profiteering is just despicable. You would think that someone with a military background would have better judgment. I also don't think that Democrats need to be publicizing a Republican culture of corruption, which I have heard mention. For one the Democrats need to get their house in order, and for another, I don't believe Cunningham's activities reflect the character of the vast majority of Republicans. I guess we'll see who comes out on top in the next primary.
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
With all the Democrat vs. Republican crap aside, was anyone else surprised as I was to hear the admissions of Randy Cunningham about his bribes and scandle regarding a home sale? I have to say that it is not very often that one sees a childhood hero shot down (pardon the pun) in such a horrible fashion. It felt like someone kicked me in the stomach when I saw the news footage. Granted, I don't live in California so I am not too privy to his dealings locally. He may have been a horrible congressman, I don't know. He has managed to keep getting reelected so that must count for something. I used to read all the time about him, Willy Driscoll, Robin Olds, Steve Ritchie and a bunch of F-4 drivers from that era.

Any opinions (I'm sure there are plenty)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I was going to post something about this, since I come to San Diego several times a year and I heard about this since last year. It is indeed sad.

I just can't imagine what this guy was thinking. It was so blatant.

Politicians are looking for money for their campaigns, and some seem too vulnerable. I also do not think one needs to emphasize the fact the Cunningham is Republican. Cunningham made some bad personal choices, and perhaps it is simply a matter of succumbing to temptation.

I also don't think that Democrats need to be publicizing a Republican culture of corruption, which I have heard mention. For one the Democrats need to get their house in order, and for another, I don't believe Cunningham's activities reflect the character of the vast majority of Republicans.

In San Diego, 7 Republicans and only 1 Democrat have put their names forward for the next primary.

Blatant is not the word I would use. Just plain stupid.

The case began when authorities started investigating Cunningham's sale of his Del Mar house to defense contractor Mitchell Wade for $1,675,000. Wade sold the house nearly a year later for $975,000 — a loss of $700,000 in a hot real estate market.

I am scratching my head at the reasoning behind this all. Was it money for campaign finance? Was it just plain greed? It seems more like greed to me.

It also looks like there will be more surprises to come:
In the plea, Cunningham, 63, acknowledged working with four co-conspirators to take bribes from defense contractors and others. Prosecutors said the bribes were paid in a variety of forms, including checks totaling more than $1 million, cash, antiques, rugs, furniture, yacht club fees and vacations.

He lost his way in the culture of corruption.

The Republicans were drunk on power and thought they could get away with anything. Democrats did the same when they had the House and Senate. One reason I like to see power balanced between the parties.

Although Cunningham engaging in war profiteering is just despicable. You would think that someone with a military background would have better judgment.

At least he was man enough to admit it publicly. Tom Delay, I am sure will go down proclaiming himself the victim of partisan politics.

FredGarvin said:
Blatant is not the word I would use. Just plain stupid.
I am scratching my head at the reasoning behind this all. Was it money for campaign finance? Was it just plain greed? It seems more like greed to me.
It also looks like there will be more surprises to come:
I think it was some smooth talking by people with lots of money. I am sure that the contractors convinced Cunningham that he was entitled to some share for his hard work. There are millions or billions of dollars at stake in defense contracts.

The money went to Cunningham directly, not to his campaign. Cunningham has his own company, Top Gun Enterprises Inc., and apparently he laundered money through his company. His campaign did receive direct contributions, but most of the $2.4 million went directly to Cunningham. Here is some background - http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/06/26/news/top_stories/22_59_066_25_05.txt

Perhaps arrogant would be a better term than blatant, or perhpas Fred you're right, it was just plain stupid.

Last edited:
Here is a video link to his statement.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2005/11/28.html#a6094

That Times article had some disturbing stuff in it. Anytime I see "defense" and "Saudi Arabia" in the same paragraph I get nervous.

I guess the age old saying holds; Power corrupts.

FredGarvin said:
With all the Democrat vs. Republican crap aside, was anyone else surprised as I was to hear the admissions of Randy Cunningham about his bribes and scandle regarding a home sale? I have to say that it is not very often that one sees a childhood hero shot down (pardon the pun) in such a horrible fashion. It felt like someone kicked me in the stomach when I saw the news footage.
That's "Duke" Cunningham? Ugh, you just ruined my whole day.

No surprise. Military service and political service are two different worlds. One has nothing to do with the other less the advantage come election time. Today he's just another corrupt politician.

1. What is the background of Randy Cunningham's Bribery & Scandal?

The scandal involves former Navy Top Gun pilot and congressman Randy "Duke" Cunningham, who was found guilty of accepting over $2.4 million in bribes from defense contractors in exchange for government contracts and other favors. It was uncovered in 2005 and resulted in Cunningham's resignation and subsequent imprisonment.

2. How did the public react to the news of the scandal?

The public was shocked and outraged by the news of Cunningham's corruption and betrayal of public trust. Many called for harsh punishments and stricter regulations to prevent similar incidents in the future. The scandal also sparked discussions about the influence of money in politics and the need for campaign finance reform.

3. What were the consequences of the scandal?

Cunningham was sentenced to 8 years and 4 months in prison and ordered to pay $1.8 million in restitution. Several defense contractors involved in the bribery scheme also faced charges and were sentenced to prison. The scandal also led to the creation of the Office of Congressional Ethics to investigate allegations of misconduct by members of Congress.

4. How did the scandal impact the political landscape?

The scandal further eroded public trust in government and politicians, and highlighted the issue of corruption in politics. It also had a significant impact on the Republican Party, as Cunningham was a prominent member and his conviction added to the party's negative image at the time.

5. Has there been any progress in preventing similar scandals from happening again?

While there have been efforts to increase transparency and accountability in government, there have also been several other high-profile corruption scandals since Cunningham's. Many argue that more needs to be done to address the issue of money in politics and prevent politicians from using their positions for personal gain.