Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Duke Cunningham

1. Nov 29, 2005 #1

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

With all the Democrat vs. Republican crap aside, was anyone else surprised as I was to hear the admissions of Randy Cunningham about his bribes and scandle regarding a home sale? I have to say that it is not very often that one sees a childhood hero shot down (pardon the pun) in such a horrible fashion. It felt like someone kicked me in the stomach when I saw the news footage. Granted, I don't live in California so I am not too privy to his dealings locally. He may have been a horrible congressman, I don't know. He has managed to keep getting reelected so that must count for something. I used to read all the time about him, Willy Driscoll, Robin Olds, Steve Ritchie and a bunch of F-4 drivers from that era.

Any opinions (I'm sure there are plenty)?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I was going to post something about this, since I come to San Diego several times a year and I heard about this since last year. It is indeed sad.

I just can't imagine what this guy was thinking. It was so blatant.

Politicians are looking for money for their campaigns, and some seem too vulnerable. I also do not think one needs to emphasize the fact the Cunningham is Republican. Cunningham made some bad personal choices, and perhaps it is simply a matter of succumbing to temptation.

I also don't think that Democrats need to be publicizing a Republican culture of corruption, which I have heard mention. For one the Democrats need to get their house in order, and for another, I don't believe Cunningham's activities reflect the character of the vast majority of Republicans.

In San Diego, 7 Republicans and only 1 Democrat have put their names forward for the next primary.

4. Nov 29, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Blatant is not the word I would use. Just plain stupid.

I am scratching my head at the reasoning behind this all. Was it money for campaign finance? Was it just plain greed? It seems more like greed to me.

It also looks like there will be more surprises to come:

5. Nov 29, 2005 #4
    He lost his way in the culture of corruption.

The Republicans were drunk on power and thought they could get away with anything. Democrats did the same when they had the House and Senate. One reason I like to see power balanced between the parties.

Although Cunningham engaging in war profiteering is just despicable. You would think that someone with a military background would have better judgment.

At least he was man enough to admit it publicly. Tom Delay, I am sure will go down proclaiming himself the victim of partisan politics.

6. Nov 29, 2005 #5

Astronuc

I think it was some smooth talking by people with lots of money. I am sure that the contractors convinced Cunningham that he was entitled to some share for his hard work. There are millions or billions of dollars at stake in defense contracts.

The money went to Cunningham directly, not to his campaign. Cunningham has his own company, Top Gun Enterprises Inc., and apparently he laundered money through his company. His campaign did receive direct contributions, but most of the $2.4 million went directly to Cunningham. Here is some background - http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/06/26/news/top_stories/22_59_066_25_05.txt

Perhaps arrogant would be a better term than blatant, or perhpas Fred you're right, it was just plain stupid.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  7. Nov 29, 2005 #6
  8. Nov 29, 2005 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

That Times article had some disturbing stuff in it. Anytime I see "defense" and "Saudi Arabia" in the same paragraph I get nervous.

I guess the age old saying holds; Power corrupts.

9. Nov 29, 2005 #8

russ_watters

That's "Duke" Cunningham? Ugh, you just ruined my whole day.

10. Nov 29, 2005 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No surprise. Military service and political service are two different worlds. One has nothing to do with the other less the advantage come election time. Today he's just another corrupt politician.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?