How to Convert kg Oil Equivalent to 1000 TOE Units: A Simple Guide

• Thread starter physicsss
  • Start date
In summary, "dumb conversion questions" are poorly thought out questions that demonstrate a lack of understanding in scientific research. They can lead to incorrect conclusions and waste valuable time and resources. Scientists can avoid asking them by thoroughly researching and being open to learning. While not directly contributing to research, these questions can still be beneficial in encouraging critical thinking. If you realize you have asked one, use it as an opportunity to learn and seek clarification from those with more knowledge.
physicsss
I'm sorry for posting this, but I'm really confused by the following.

The problem states to use units of 1000 TOE("tons of oil equivelent, where 1 ton = 1000 kg) So if I'm given 1698 kg oil equivalent, I need to divide by 1000 twice to get to the units of 1000 TOE?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
1 ton = 1000kg
1 ton of oil equivalent = 1000kg of oil equivalent

I understand that, but they want it in units of 1000 TOE, so I divide TOE by 1000, right?

Yes, indeed.

What is a "dumb conversion question"?

A "dumb conversion question" is a term used to describe a question that is poorly thought out or lacks basic understanding of the topic being discussed.

Why are "dumb conversion questions" problematic in scientific research?

"Dumb conversion questions" can be problematic in scientific research because they can lead to incorrect conclusions or waste valuable time and resources. They also demonstrate a lack of understanding or critical thinking skills.

How can scientists avoid asking "dumb conversion questions"?

Scientists can avoid asking "dumb conversion questions" by thoroughly researching and understanding the topic before asking questions, being open to learning and asking for clarification when necessary, and avoiding assumptions or making hasty conclusions.

Can "dumb conversion questions" ever be beneficial in scientific research?

While "dumb conversion questions" may not directly contribute to scientific research, they can still be beneficial by encouraging critical thinking and challenging existing beliefs or ideas.

What should I do if I realize I have asked a "dumb conversion question"?

If you realize you have asked a "dumb conversion question", don't be discouraged. Use it as an opportunity to learn and improve your understanding. You can also seek clarification or ask for further explanation from those with more knowledge on the topic.