Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dumb generation?

1. Jun 10, 2008 #1
    i read an article in the boston globe about this being the dumbest generation due to all the amenities of the digital age. the author contends that our great technology, instead of making youth brighter, has had the opposite effect. for example, he says that students use the internet not to gain knowledge but just to copy and pass along information on assignments, without any critical thinking. another influence... on myspace, writing clearly and concisely is frowned upon by your peers. you'll be laughed at and scorned. and, another effect is that they don't read books. there are more examples in the article. i can't provide a link because forum rules do not allow me as a first time poster... not sure why the need for such a restriction, but...

if you are interested in reading the article, do a search on boston.com on '8 reasons why this is the dumbest generation.'

what do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2008 #2
    Here is an article I clipped from the Giza Times, 1500 BC.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  4. Jun 10, 2008 #3
  5. Jun 10, 2008 #4
    Sounds like more of the same "get off my lawn"/"why when I was a kid we walked uphill to school each way in a snowstorm" stuff we've been hearing about young people every generation.

6. Jun 10, 2008 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

i think maybe u r a member of that generation ...

Your post has no capitalization and ... what in the world are all of those ellipses for?

7. Jun 10, 2008 #6
    Have we already forgotten about the generation that let this happen:

There
    is
    no
    excuse!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  8. Jun 10, 2008 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Attributed to Socrates (although that's in dispute).

9. Jun 10, 2008 #8
    It's an illusion. Ignorant people aren't getting more prevalent - the internet just allows their, albiet palsey-ridden, voices to be heard.

10. Jun 10, 2008 #9

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have noticed one significant difference between those with well-aged flatulence and those without. The younger employees in our company have very, very clean desks. I would be completely lost without my green engineering pad. My green engineering pads. I kill trees with them. I use them for doing math, architecting programs and systems, developing business plans, coordinating projects, recording telephone conversations, and even useless doodles. I can understand how you young guys can do most of this on a computer, but how in the world do you do math and write useless doodles on a computer? I use LaTeX as well as anyone, but only after doing it on paper first. And nothing beats a pad of paper for useless doodles. Nothing. Powerpoint doodles? Please.

11. Jun 10, 2008 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

lisab - I was lookingforthe similair quote from cicero, you beat me to it.
    DH, I don't know how anybody can think without drawing pictures, it beats me how students can just type in lecture notes on a keyboard.

12. Jun 10, 2008 #11
    Hahahahaha!!! :rofl:

13. Jun 10, 2008 #12
    My friend types in his engineering/math lecture notes using microsoft office equation editor in real time.

14. Jun 10, 2008 #13

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But you can't draw the little diagrams to show coordinate systems or draw rings around something and write important underlined.

Or draw doodles because the lecturer is very boring or lost you 30mins ago

15. Jun 10, 2008 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Green engineering pads :!!) ! I use them for everything, too! Set a green pad in front of me and I get a jolt to the pleasure center of my brain.

OK that's maybe too much information :redface: .

16. Jun 10, 2008 #15
    hahahaha. if i said that i wished i were, that would be a lie. once around was enough for me. :smile:

17. Jun 10, 2008 #16
    There's also the IQ paradox where IQ's have gone steadly up for the last century. Although this is most likely a function of the increase minimum education level. I think there's also links to immigration and drop in IQ scores (not in any way because immigrants have lower IQ but simply because IQ tests often (whether they mean to or not) gauge english literacy as much as anything).

As for my personally experience I find that old people who complain the most about young people are rarely the most shining and intellegent examples of their own generation. In fact this goes for a lot of things (those who, for example, feel the greatest superiority from their nationality/social group/religion etc, (i'm a (nationality) and (nation) is the greatest) tend to be the least note worthy examples of that nationality/social group/religion.)

18. Jun 10, 2008 #17

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Or cross out an entire page with a few expletives added in proclaiming the utter stupidity of the entire problem. The physical act of writing is hard to surpass electronically.

19. Jun 10, 2008 #18
    i wonder how much of this is just a convenient controversy to boost the sales of the professor's book, "The Dumbest Generation?"

http://www.dumbestgeneration.com/home.html

20. Jun 10, 2008 #19
    this generation. and sadly i have to say i am part of it -_-

21. Jun 10, 2008 #20
    This is just sad...

English too hard for students, principal says
    By Justine Ferrari
    June 10, 2008

FTA:The head of one of the nation's elite private schools has questioned whether English should be compulsory for the senior years, saying the courses being taught are beyond the intellectual ability of most students.

Continued here...
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23838302-421,00.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?