Solving a Logarithmic Equation with an Irrational Result

• Thread starter e^(i Pi)+1=0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, the given equation can be solved using basic algebraic manipulation to find the exact value of x.
e^(i Pi)+1=0

Homework Statement

27x+1=32x+1

The Attempt at a Solution

log(27x+1)=log(32x+1)

(x+1)log(27)=(2x+1)log(3)

2x+1=[itex]\frac{(x+1)log(27)}{log(3)}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{2x+1}{x+1}=\frac{log(27)}{log(3)}[/itex]

x=-2

I'm wondering how I would have continued solving this for the exact answer if [itex]\frac{log(27)}{log(3)}[/itex] had turned out to be irrational?

Physics news on Phys.org
e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:

Homework Statement

27x+1=32x+1

log(27x+1)=log(32x+1)

x=-2

I'm wondering how I would have continued solving this for the exact answer if [itex]\frac{log(27)}{log(3)}[/itex] had turned out to be irrational?

If log(m)/log(n) was irrational (call it p), then you'd just have solved it with algebra the usual way to get x in terms of p.

i.e.

(2x+1) = px + p

x(2-p) = p-1

x = (p-1)/(2-p)

That would be an exact answer, but it wouldn't be a "nice number" (an integer or even a rational answer).

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:

Homework Statement

27x+1=32x+1

log(27x+1)=log(32x+1)

x=-2

Saying "log(a)" and "log(b)" IS exact, even if you can't express those as rational numbers.

xlog(a) + log(a) = 2x(log(b)) + log(b)

x[log(a) - 2log(b)] = log(b) - log(a)

[tex] x = \frac{\log(b) - \log(a)}{\log(a) - 2\log(b)} [/tex]

and that would be your final answer, which is very much exact.

(2x+1) = px + p

x(2-p) = p-1

I am probably being incredibly dense, but I don't follow what you did here.

cepheid said:
Saying "log(a)" and "log(b)" IS exact, even if you can't express those as rational numbers.

Yeah I realize that, it's like [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]. The problem I'm having is with the algebra.

Got it, I really was being dense. Thank you.

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
(2x+1) = px + p

x(2-p) = p-1

I am probably being incredibly dense, but I don't follow what you did here.

[tex]\frac{2x+1}{x+1}=\frac{a}{b}[/tex]
[tex]2x+1=\frac{a}{b}(x+1)[/tex]
[tex]2x+1=\frac{a}{b}x+\frac{a}{b}[/tex]
[tex]2x-\frac{a}{b}x+1=\frac{a}{b}[/tex]
[tex]2x-\frac{a}{b}x=\frac{a}{b}-1[/tex]
[tex] x\left (2-\frac{a}{b}\right )=\frac{a}{b}-1[/tex]
[tex] x=\frac{\frac{a}{b}-1}{2-\frac{a}{b}}[/tex]

edit: nvm, you got it

What is a logarithmic equation?

A logarithmic equation is an equation that contains a logarithm, which is the inverse function of an exponential. It is written in the form logb(x) = y, where b is the base of the logarithm, x is the argument, and y is the result.

What makes a logarithmic equation difficult to solve?

A logarithmic equation can be difficult to solve because it involves finding the value of the argument, which is often an exponent, in order to get the result. This can be challenging when the result is irrational, meaning it cannot be expressed as a simple fraction or decimal.

How do you solve a logarithmic equation with an irrational result?

To solve a logarithmic equation with an irrational result, you can use a calculator or a computer program to approximate the result. Alternatively, you can use logarithmic identities and algebraic manipulation to rewrite the equation in a simpler form that can be solved by hand.

What are some common strategies for solving logarithmic equations with irrational results?

Some common strategies for solving logarithmic equations with irrational results include using logarithmic identities, using the change of base formula, and applying properties of logarithms such as product, quotient, and power rules. It may also be helpful to simplify the equation by factoring out common factors or using the properties of exponents.

Why is it important to check your solution when solving a logarithmic equation with an irrational result?

It is important to check your solution when solving a logarithmic equation with an irrational result because there may be extraneous solutions, meaning they do not satisfy the original equation. This can occur when taking the logarithm of a negative number or when simplifying the equation using logarithmic identities. Checking your solution ensures that you have found the correct answer.