Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dumb question about electrons?

1. Feb 9, 2008 #1
    Folks, help me out here...

Okey so electrons cannot travel in time but space. We, on the contrary (or particles bigger than planck scale) travel in time assuming we are not moving with the speed of light in space...
    My question is this...We are made up from those quanta particles like electrons. At the end how come electrons in my body move in time with me? They are not supposed to travel with me within time...we should be moving in different space time coordinates. I seriously don't get this...then how come I move in time and my basic particles move in space? Is it because when electrons orbit around the nucleus, they move slower than free electrons?

Thanks in advance...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

electrons move in space and time and so does we.

"Okey so electrons cannot travel in time but space. We, on the contrary (or particles bigger than planck scale) travel in time assuming we are not moving with the speed of light in space... "

Maybe you want to re-write that, I dont understand what you are saying. Or maybe site the reference stating those things you are writing.

EDIT: also what do you mean by "travel in time" ?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  4. Feb 9, 2008 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er.. this is rather puzzling. I know it takes the photoelectrons that I produce a length of TIME for it to go from the photocathode to the end of the beam line. It isn't instantaneous by the fact that I can see the signal at several different locations whenever these electron bunches passes by an ICT (integrated charge transformer). So this already falsify your claim that "electrons cannot travel in time", which makes the rest of your post rather moot.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?