IITs vs Harvard, MIT & Ivy Leagues: Which is Best for Physics?

• Thread starter bennington
  • Start date
In summary: IITs are certainly some of the most difficult-to-get-into institutions in the world, but I don't think that indicates that the education is particularly high quality. In a country of 1 billion people only the very best students go on to an IIT - these are students who would probably be successful in their careers no matter where they went to school and it's questionable that education at an IIT has greater "value added" than at any other university ranked in, say, the top 100 in the world. I did graduate work with a Bangledeshi guy who'd gone to IIT Mumbai. He's one of the smartest and most hard-working people I've met, but I don't think IIT made him
bennington
are the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) some of the best science schools in the world? My parents want me to prepare for the entrance exam to get in, stating that it is better than Harvard, MIT, Duke, or other Ivy League schools. I really didn't take them seriously until I found http://media.www.texasbusinessweekly.com/media/storage/paper480/news/2003/01/29/News/Iitharvardmitprinceton-354976.shtml" . What is your opinion about the status of these schools? I am thinkin gof studying physics, so this might be a good option for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it may not be a good idea unless you speak punjabi fluently... stick to USA

The IITs are certainly some of the most difficult-to-get-into institutions in the world, but I don't think think that indicates that the education is particularly high quality. In a country of 1 billion people only the very best students go on to an IIT - these are students who would probably be successful in their careers no matter where they went to school and it's questionable that education at an IIT has greater "value added" than at any other university ranked in, say, the top 100 in the world. I did graduate work with a Bangledeshi guy who'd gone to IIT Mumbai. He's one of the smartest and most hard-working people I've met, but I don't think IIT made him that way.

The article you referred to acknowledges that "IIT's don't offer a well-rounded education".
http://media.www.texasbusinessweekl...1/29/News/Iitharvardmitprinceton-354976.shtml

Moreover, there has been a lot of criticism that the IIT style of education discourages innovation. And the IITs do not match western universities in terms of research quality. Western universities still have a funding advantage - they can attract capital to pay for the best people and equipment. I would also speculate that there is a cultural advantage to doing research at a western university where the atmosphere is much less formal and young researchers are not expected to be so obedient.

Finally, the student housing is pretty terrible compared with what you'd find in the US.
http://idlivada.blogspot.com/2005/11/lets-all-go-to-iit.html

Someone interested in studying physics - who has US residency - is far better off at a good private college or state school than at an IIT.

Last edited by a moderator:
oedipa maas said:
The IITs are certainly some of the most difficult-to-get-into institutions in the world, but I don't think think that indicates that the education is particularly high quality. In a country of 1 billion people only the very best students go on to an IIT - these are students who would probably be successful in their careers no matter where they went to school and it's questionable that education at an IIT has greater "value added" than at any other university ranked in, say, the top 100 in the world. I did graduate work with a Bangledeshi guy who'd gone to IIT Mumbai. He's one of the smartest and most hard-working people I've met, but I don't think IIT made him that way.

The article you referred to acknowledges that "IIT's don't offer a well-rounded education".
http://media.www.texasbusinessweekl...1/29/News/Iitharvardmitprinceton-354976.shtml

Moreover, there has been a lot of criticism that the IIT style of education discourages innovation. And the IITs do not match western universities in terms of research quality. Western universities still have a funding advantage - they can attract capital to pay for the best people and equipment. I would also speculate that there is a cultural advantage to doing research at a western university where the atmosphere is much less formal and young researchers are not expected to be so obedient.

Finally, the student housing is pretty terrible compared with what you'd find in the US.
http://idlivada.blogspot.com/2005/11/lets-all-go-to-iit.html

Someone interested in studying physics - who has US residency - is far better off at a good private college or state school than at an IIT.

I know it doesn't offer a well-rounded education (after all, its an institute of technology), but how does its science education rank. I am hoping to have a science career, so I'm interested in IIT, but I need to know its quality of education.

joelio36 said:
I think it may not be a good idea unless you speak punjabi fluently... stick to USA

The IITs all have English as the language of instruction...

bennington said:
I know it doesn't offer a well-rounded education (after all, its an institute of technology), but how does its science education rank. I am hoping to have a science career, so I'm interested in IIT, but I need to know its quality of education.

Well, I guess the point is that universities in the US think that a well-rounded education is necessary to a scientific education.

I've never seen a study that proposes to measure the "quality of education" for undergrads in universities around the world.

I've never seen a study that proposes to measure the "quality of education" for undergrads in universities around the world.

I'm waiting for one. I want to see some substance on all these claims that US schools suck, and China and India are blowing us out of the water.

I wouldn't be surprised if their students are simply more industrious, given the cultural values, the environment in which they grow up in, and the fact that, as you mentioned, the competition will be higher since these countries have a much greater population to draw from.

But the idea that even our best schools are lacking certain quality is a bit unbelievable. Perhaps I'm just in denial, because I want to believe my education that I work so hard for doesn't suck?

Bennington, are you a native Indian? If that's the case, then yes IIT is a great school.

But if you live in America, my advice is to go to school in America. Our schools are the best in the world. That's why everyone else in the world comes here. To be sure, IIT will give you a good physics education. I was recently contacted by an MSc student at IIT who's interested in working on his physics PhD at my department, and he seems very prepared. But really, few things can beat an American education. I had an uncle who went to IIT (my parents and uncles are first generation immigrants from India). He graduated in electrical engineering, and then sold air conditioners for the next twenty years. He then came to America and got a two year degree in nursing just so he could get a job. So you can see that going to IIT doesn't equal instant success.

1. What is the difference between IITs and Harvard, MIT & Ivy Leagues in terms of physics education?

The main difference between IITs and Harvard, MIT & Ivy Leagues lies in their education systems and teaching methods. While IITs focus more on theoretical concepts and problem-solving skills, Harvard, MIT & Ivy Leagues have a more hands-on approach with a strong emphasis on research and experimentation.

2. Which institution is better for pursuing a career in physics?

It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals. If you are looking for a career in academia, Harvard, MIT & Ivy Leagues may be a better choice due to their renowned research facilities and prestigious reputation. However, if you are interested in industry jobs, IITs may provide more practical knowledge and skills.

3. How do the faculty and resources compare between IITs and Harvard, MIT & Ivy Leagues?

All of these institutions have highly qualified and experienced faculty members in the field of physics. However, Harvard, MIT & Ivy Leagues generally have a larger pool of resources and funding for research projects. IITs may have smaller class sizes, allowing for more individualized attention from professors.

4. What are the admission requirements for these institutions?

The admission requirements for IITs and Harvard, MIT & Ivy Leagues differ. While IITs primarily consider scores on standardized tests and entrance exams, Harvard, MIT & Ivy Leagues also place a strong emphasis on extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation.

5. Can IITs and Harvard, MIT & Ivy Leagues be compared directly in terms of their quality of education?

It is difficult to compare the quality of education between these institutions as they have different approaches and strengths. All of these institutions have produced successful physicists and have their own unique contributions to the field of physics.