Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dumb question

1. Jul 28, 2003 #1
    Hey, i was just wondering what envelopes with a big black dot on them means. Also, i was wondering if there was a better way i could ask a question like this, it seems a bit silly to post a whole thread, just for a dumb quetsion...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2003 #2
    if it has a dot then it means you've posted in that forum. if it's closed, no new posts; if it's open, new posts.

and instead of post new threads for each question, you can PM any of the mentors.
  4. Jul 28, 2003 #3
    If you got the black spot on/in an envelope that means that your gonna die boy! This was used alot by the Pirates,(i think) they would give an envelope with a large black spot on it, to the person that they where going to kill, and then that person would as you could imagine be incredibly scared for the short remainder of his live until his assasin comes along to kill him.

I just hope your still alive to read this post.
  5. Jul 28, 2003 #4
    You think that was a dump question? When I first read your post I thought you might be asking about a mail envelope that returned from the post-office with a big black dot on it.
  6. Jul 28, 2003 #5
    Re: Re: dumb question

Yip, same here.

Is it just me, or does the 'appove' smiley look more like someone feeling smug than approving?
  7. Jul 28, 2003 #6
    Re: Re: Re: dumb question

Yip, same here.
  8. Jul 28, 2003 #7
    Yea very smug.
  9. Jul 28, 2003 #8
    Re: Re: Re: Re: dumb question

Yip! same here too :smile: Thats the 'approve' smilie, I thought it was the "Well sometimes I'm an idiot too" smilie! (Heehehehehehehe)
  10. Jul 28, 2003 #9
    Then I guess I've passed the sanity check...

...for the most part. I'd like to see that particular smiley done away with.
  11. Jul 28, 2003 #10
    Re: Re: Re: Re: dumb question

Ya me too
  12. Jul 29, 2003 #11
    Re: Then I guess I've passed the sanity check...

are you kidding? not ! he's one of my favourites. he can be smug or proud and loving.
  13. Jul 29, 2003 #12
    Here I was thinking that you all meant this smilie --> , which is the one I meant when I said it looked like; ""Well sometimes I'm an idiot too" smilie!"...NOT this one (which I now realize is the Approve smilie) --> , which looks more like "Big Cheesy"-Grinning, to me .

Lets keep them all, to each their own!
  14. Jul 29, 2003 #13

Science Advisor

Hey, don't feel bad Gale I've been around since the start
    of PF3 (just since April, before that we had PF2 of which
    I was a member for about 8 - 9 months) and I never wondered
    about these dots or knew why they're there. Now that's dumb !

Live long and prosper.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?