1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dumb questioncan someone help me?

1. Oct 16, 2005 #1
    Simple Projectile Question

there is a volleyball net 2.24m high (the court is 9m by 9m on both sides), and you hit the ball while being 3m in the air, you are 8m away from the net, if the initial velocity is horizontal find
    A)what minimum velocity must the ball have to clear the top of the net
    B)what maximum velocity can it have if the ball is to strike the the back line on the other side of the net?
    V0 = ?
    X-X0 = 8m
    Y-Y0 = 0.76m
    (theta) = 84.57
    Vy2 = -2g(y-y0)
    Vy = 3.76m/s
    Vy = V0sin(theta) - gt
    Vy/-g = t
    t = 0.38
    X-X0 = V0x(t)
    8m = V0x(0.38s)
    V0x = 21.05 m/s???not likely
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't run through the numbers, but your procedure looks good for part a.

You need to do something similar for part b. Just as in part a when you asked yourself what must [itex]V_{0x}[/itex] be in order to clear the net, now you have to ask yourself what must [itex]V_{0x}[/itex] be in order to not go past the edge of the court. The algebra is going to be the same, but with different numbers.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?