Why Ground Flax Seed Takes Up More Space: The Science Behind It

• Thread starter clinden
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Seed
In summary: Is this something that does not occur in the grinding up of other seeds/nuts?Perhaps inside the seed shell, the contents are:under pressure and expand when released from the shell (kind of like pop-corn), causing a rapid expansion.kept separate from the surrounding environment. When released from the shell, the contents cen react with their surroundings (like, perhaps, water in the air (humidity)) and swell up due to the added mass. This would result in a delayed and environment dependent expansion.The finer particle size of ground flax might result in it requiring more volume due to the "sphere packing
clinden
Why does ground flax seed consume about 30% more volume than whole flax? It would seem to me the finer particle size would result in the ground requiring less volume, as the "sphere packing" inefficiencies would be less?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a reference for this?
Is this something that does not occur in the grinding up of other seeds/nuts?

Perhaps inside the seed shell, the contents are:
  • under pressure and expand when released from the shell (kind of like pop-corn), causing a rapid expansion.
  • kept separate from the surrounding environment. When released from the shell, the contents cen react with their surroundings (like, perhaps, water in the air (humidity)) and swell up due to the added mass. This would result in a delayed and environment dependent expansion.

BillTre said:
You have a reference for this?
Is this something that does not occur in the grinding up of other seeds/nuts?

Perhaps inside the seed shell, the contents are:
  • under pressure and expand when released from the shell (kind of like pop-corn), causing a rapid expansion.
  • kept separate from the surrounding environment. When released from the shell, the contents cen react with their surroundings (like, perhaps, water in the air (humidity)) and swell up due to the added mass. This would result in a delayed and environment dependent expansion.
No reference-just my experience from grinding 8 ounces of seed this afternoon.

Interesting question.
You packing argument seems good to me, but I'm not particularly knowledgeable about these things.

Does the weight change?
What if you crush it down? Maybe the small particle spring out branches pushing them apart. (look under a microscope)

BillTre said:
Interesting question.
You packing argument seems good to me, but I'm not particularly knowledgeable about these things.

Does the weight change?
What if you crush it down? Maybe the small particle spring out branches pushing them apart. (look under a microscope)
Plausible sounding ideas.
Crushing down doesn't do much. Ground and whole both pretty much in-compressible.
Kitchen scale shows no discernible weight difference.

Likes BillTre
If you dig hole with dirt and then try to fill that hole with the same dirt, you will invariably have some dirt left over. The dirt - which was very tightly compressed before - is now mixed with air, and poorly packed.

I think heart of the issue us that whole flax seed is hard and smooth, and will very easily slip into an efficient packing arrangement. Ground seed is fibrous and spongy and will initially pack very loosely as the various fibrous bits grab each other - it will not easily settle to a more efficient packing arrangement.

Given time and a bit of encouragement though, it will likely settle into a more compact form than the whole seed.

This is my opinion.

Likes Klystron, davenn, BillTre and 2 others
I wonder if packing efficiency is related to angle of repose.

Try an experiment. Pile up a cone of whole flax seed next to a cone of ground flax seed and see if there is a difference in the angle of repose.

I predict the ground seed will have a steeper angle of repose.
1582242728493.png

1582242746690.png

Likes Dale, BillTre and Merlin3189
DaveC426913 said:
If you dig hole with dirt and then try to fill that hole with the same dirt, you will invariably have some dirt left over. The dirt - which was very tightly compressed before - is now mixed with air, and poorly packed.

I think heart of the issue us that whole flax seed is hard and smooth, and will very easily slip into an efficient packing arrangement. Ground seed is fibrous and spongy and will initially pack very loosely as the various fibrous bits grab each other - it will not easily settle to a more efficient packing arrangement.

Given time and a bit of encouragement though, it will likely settle into a more compact form than the whole seed.

This is my opinion.
This too makes sense. More so than my original premise that finer particles (spheres) should pack more efficiently. In reviewing some sphere packing algorithms, I now find that the radius of the sphere does not affect packing efficiency.
Rather, the packing algorithm seems to be all that matters, once you ignore edge effects, i.e., as the total volume packed
goes to infinity, efficiency is independent of radius.

Interesting comparison.

However, angle of repose could increase due to changes (increases) in the surface stickiness of the particles.
Ground up moist (or maybe oily) particles vs. the smooth dry looking surface of the seed's exterior.

Wet sand vs. dry sand.
Same particles, different stickiness (maybe due to capillary action of the water between the particles?), different angle of repose.

clinden said:
Plausible sounding ideas.
Crushing down doesn't do much. Ground and whole both pretty much in-compressible.
Kitchen scale shows no discernible weight difference.
Within the flax kernel you have a densely packed amount of material.
Packing the kernels in bulk there is a particular void/ material ratio.

Breaking the kernel in 2, 3 or more pieces allows voids to become available when packed in bulk changing the density. The pieces do not align up only at the breakages but in random fashion.
Up to certain limit in which you grind the particles to a fine powder the void/material ratio should begin to decrease up the point where you have ground the material to atom or molecular size whereupon the density of a small sample will be similar to that of a kernel - the greatest achievable. Packing that and you could have a result where the packed powdered bulk density is greater than packed kernel density.

Kind of like having a block of steel which is dense and has no voids.
Cut into chunks, and stacking in random manner, voids appear amongst the chunks decreasing the density.
You would have to cut into atom size again to get back to the steel block density once more.

The thing is, the chunks or pieces are not spherical, not of the same shape or exact copies of the original piece.
it is most likely though a function of original piece shape.

that is how I see it.

clinden said:
More so than my original premise that finer particles (spheres) should pack more efficiently

you have said spheres several times
why do you think they would be spheres ?
Have you looked in a microscope ?
I would have expected the particles to have irregular shapes

No microscope. I said spheres as a simplifying assumption to enable me to think about the problem
by drawing upon the well-studied sphere packing problem.

1. Why does ground flax seed take up more space than whole flax seed?

Ground flax seed takes up more space because the process of grinding breaks down the seeds into smaller particles, increasing their surface area. This increase in surface area allows the ground flax seed to absorb more water, making it expand and take up more space.

2. Does the nutritional value of ground flax seed differ from whole flax seed?

The nutritional value of ground flax seed is the same as whole flax seed. However, the ground form may be more easily digested and absorbed by the body, allowing for better absorption of its nutrients.

3. How does the size of the flax seed affect its properties?

The size of the flax seed does not significantly affect its properties. However, the smaller particles of ground flax seed may make it easier to incorporate into foods and beverages, making it a more versatile ingredient.

4. Can you still get the same health benefits from ground flax seed as whole flax seed?

Yes, you can still get the same health benefits from ground flax seed as whole flax seed. Both forms contain high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and other important nutrients that contribute to a healthy diet.

5. Is there a difference in taste between ground flax seed and whole flax seed?

There may be a slight difference in taste between ground flax seed and whole flax seed, but it is minimal. Some people may prefer the texture of ground flax seed over whole flax seed, as it is finer and less noticeable when added to foods.