Understanding AC Step Up Transformers: Common Issues and Solutions

• Thread starter FenderStrat62
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary, the conversation was about running tests on simple AC step up transformers and not being able to justify the lower-than-expected voltage on the primary coil. Possible reasons discussed were the impedance of the inductor and the possibility of a bad transformer. The voltage measurement was taken using multimeters at the legs of the primary and secondary sides. Further inquiries were made about the readings and the rated voltage of the windings.
FenderStrat62
I've been running some tests on some simple AC step up transformers, and I can't seem to justify something to myself:

I hook up 12 VAC to the primary coil, but the voltage on the coil is actually more like 1 VAC, when measured with a voltmeter. It's not an issue with the supply--it puts out 12 VAC just fine when not hooked up to my transformer.

What simple concept am I not remembering? Something to do with the impedance of the inductor, maybe?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like the supply is being loaded down by the transformer windings.

Welcome to PF

If the secondary is open then it could mean that you have a bad transformer. If the secondary has a load on it then it could mean that the power requirement of the load exceeds the power capability of the power supply. Many power supplies will foldback when overloaded.

The secondary had a 1 megaohm resistor for the load, since that's the closest resistor I had laying around. So, there wasn't much power being drawn.

Are you sure your power supply is AC only? If it is AC only then it sounds like you have a bad transformer.

FenderStrat62 said:
I've been running some tests on some simple AC step up transformers, and I can't seem to justify something to myself:

I hook up 12 VAC to the primary coil, but the voltage on the coil is actually more like 1 VAC, when measured with a voltmeter. It's not an issue with the supply--it puts out 12 VAC just fine when not hooked up to my transformer.

What simple concept am I not remembering? Something to do with the impedance of the inductor, maybe?

How and where are you taking the measurement?

CS

Turtle: I trust that the power supply is AC only, as that's never been an issue before. I could hook it up to an oscilloscope next time I'm in the lab to make sure. I didn't take DC readings, so I don't know what I'd read there.

Also, it would really surprise me if it was a bad transformer. All the transformers I tested acted this way, and the voltage ratios were all to spec, even at the lower-than-expected voltage.

Stewart: I've got the 12VAC leads hooked up to the primary side from an AC power supply, and a 1 megaohm resistor hooked up to the secondary side. I'm using a pair of multimeters and measuring VAC at the legs of primary and secondary side of the transformer.

FenderStrat62 said:
Turtle: I trust that the power supply is AC only, as that's never been an issue before. I could hook it up to an oscilloscope next time I'm in the lab to make sure. I didn't take DC readings, so I don't know what I'd read there.

Also, it would really surprise me if it was a bad transformer. All the transformers I tested acted this way, and the voltage ratios were all to spec, even at the lower-than-expected voltage.

Stewart: I've got the 12VAC leads hooked up to the primary side from an AC power supply, and a 1 megaohm resistor hooked up to the secondary side. I'm using a pair of multimeters and measuring VAC at the legs of primary and secondary side of the transformer.

I mean where are you reading the 1 VAC...across the primary terminals or the secondary terminals?

CS

The primary is roughly 1 VAC. It's not exactly that, just ball park.

Have you performed an open circuit and short circuit test? If so, what did you get?

CS

If you have a transformer that normally converts 110 volts to 12 volts, then you can use that transformer backwards by feeding it with 12 volts AC to get 110 volts out.

But, if it previously gave 4 volts out then you can't put 12 volts on it and expect to get 330 volts out. The problem is that the smaller winding won't have enough inductance and will draw too much current from the 12 volt supply.

Do you know what the rated voltage is for each of the windings on this transformer?

What is a Dumb Transformer?

A Dumb Transformer is a term used in the field of artificial intelligence to refer to a machine learning model that is unable to adapt to new or unseen data. It is considered a weaker version of a Smart Transformer, which is able to learn from new data and improve its performance.

How does a Dumb Transformer differ from a Smart Transformer?

A Dumb Transformer lacks the ability to adapt to new or unseen data, while a Smart Transformer is able to learn from new data and improve its performance. This means that a Dumb Transformer will have a limited range of capabilities and may not be as accurate or efficient as a Smart Transformer.

What are the limitations of a Dumb Transformer?

The main limitation of a Dumb Transformer is its inability to learn from new or unseen data. This means that it may not be able to accurately handle tasks or data that it has not been trained on, leading to lower performance and accuracy. Additionally, a Dumb Transformer may also struggle with complex or nuanced tasks that require adaptability and flexibility.

How can a Dumb Transformer be improved?

There are a few ways in which a Dumb Transformer can be improved. One approach is to provide it with more data during training, which can increase its range of capabilities and improve its performance. Another approach is to use a different type of machine learning model that is better suited for the task at hand. Additionally, techniques such as transfer learning or ensemble learning can also help improve the performance of a Dumb Transformer.

What are some real-world applications of Dumb Transformers?

Dumb Transformers are commonly used in tasks or industries where the data is relatively simple and does not require adaptability, such as spam detection in emails or sentiment analysis of social media posts. However, with advancements in machine learning, the use of Dumb Transformers is becoming less common as more powerful and adaptable models are being developed.