Can F_1,2 Be Defined Using r-hat_2,1 Instead of r-hat_1,2?

In summary, the concept of vector direction involves understanding the magnitude and direction of a vector in a coordinate system. This includes calculating the angle between the vector and the axes, as well as determining the positive or negative direction of the vector. It is important to note that vector direction is different from vector position, which refers to the location of the vector in space. Understanding vector direction is crucial in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics, as it allows for accurate calculations and predictions of motion and forces.
Ryan McParlan
In this example (https://imgur.com/a/pTFIt) could i define F_1,2 in terms of r-hat_2,1 instead of r-hat_1,2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ryan McParlan said:
In this example (https://imgur.com/a/pTFIt) could i define F_1,2 in terms of r-hat_2,1 instead of r-hat_1,2?
Sure, why not? As long as you take into account that they have opposite directions.

What is a "Dumb Vector Direction Question"?

A "Dumb Vector Direction Question" is a term used in the field of science to describe a common mistake made when working with vectors. It refers to a question that asks for the direction of a vector without specifying the reference frame or coordinate system being used.

Why is it important to specify the reference frame when asking about vector direction?

Specifying the reference frame is important because the direction of a vector can vary depending on the coordinate system being used. Without this information, the answer to a vector direction question may be incorrect or ambiguous.

What are some examples of reference frames used in vector direction questions?

Some common reference frames used in vector direction questions include Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), polar coordinates (r, θ), and spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ).

How can I avoid making a "Dumb Vector Direction Question"?

To avoid making a "Dumb Vector Direction Question", make sure to always specify the reference frame or coordinate system when asking about the direction of a vector. This will ensure that the answer is accurate and unambiguous.

What other mistakes should I avoid when working with vectors?

In addition to specifying the reference frame, it is important to pay attention to vector notation and make sure to use the correct mathematical operations when performing vector calculations. It is also important to understand vector addition and subtraction, as well as the concept of vector components.