1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dumbbell orbit

1. Mar 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A dumbbell consisting of two spheres of mass [tex]\frac{m}{2}[/tex], and connected by a massless rod of length [tex]2a[/tex] is in circular orbit. The dumbbell is at radius [tex]r_0[/tex] from the planet, and orbits with frequency [tex]\omega_0[/tex]. The angle of the dumbbell to the downward gravitational force is given by [tex]\phi[/tex].

The position of stable equilibrium for the dumbbell is when [tex]\phi=\pi[/tex], and the position of unstable equilibrium is at [tex]\phi=0[/tex].

The dumbbell is rocking back and forth. Show that the angular frequency of the rocking motion about the stable equilibrium is equal to [tex]\omega_0*\sqrt{3}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I keep attempting to set up a lagrangian equation to describe the motion of [tex]\phi[/tex], however, my [tex]\omega_0[/tex] term keeps dropping out at the beginning of my calculations, so I know right there that the answer will turn out wrong.

What method am I supposed to use?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2009 #2
    Bump. Please please please, this is really important.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook