1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dumbbells collision

1. May 6, 2008 #1
    Two identical dumb-bells are placed so that their ends are at (−d, +2l), (−d, 0), and (+d, 0), (+d,−2l). Each can be considered as two point masses m joined by a weightless rod of length 2l. Initially they are not rotating, and move with velocities (+V,0), (-V,0) so that the top of one hits the bottom of the other. If the coefficient of resitution is e then work out the centre of mass velocity and the angular velocity of each rod after the collision.

I tried doing this by energy and angular momentum conservation, which I think I can do if it's an elastic collision, but I'm not sure how the coefficient of restitution affects that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi jsmith12! :smile:

(When in doubt, try wikipedia … http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_restitution)

In collisions, momentum and angular momentum are always conserved … so it's only the energy equation you have to change when the collision isn't elastic! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?