1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dumbo needs help

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1

Tai

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for some help in calculating the speed of a boat I am planning to build, I'm not looking for a precise speed just an indication of what it is likely to be to ensure the pumps I would like to use are powerfull enough.

The boat is a catamaran hull with the hull dimensions 150mmx100mmx620mm (per hull), the remainder of the boat will be above the water line. Overall the weight will be 8.5 Kilos, the propulsion system I would like to use is made up of two bilge pumps, each bigle pump is capable of moving 42 litres a minute so combined 84 litres per minute. The pump output pipe is 19mm in diameter, which i guess fits into the equation somewhere... :surprised

Is someone able to tell me an approximate speed in either kph or mph? I don't even have a clue where to begin :blushing:

Thanks in advance,

Tai

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2005 #2
    You need to determine how the drag varies with speed. Then for a first approximation, you relate that to the power output of your engines:

[tex]P = \frac{1}{2} \rho v^3 LW Cd[/tex]

Bear in mind that your drag coefficient would have to include viscous, wave and profile drag terms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?