1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra Dummit and Foote vs Lang

1. Jul 2, 2015 #1
    Hi, I'm going to start learning Abstract Algebra, and I was wondering which book, either Lang (his graduate version) or Dummit and Foote, is better. I'm totally okay with terseness to any degree so that isn't an issue for me. Now, I know that Lang is a hardcore graduate book (at least according to what I heard), but I can take my time with it and probably look up whatever I don't understand online. So, which of the two would be "better?" Which covers more material? Are there any books that you feel are better or covers more material then these two? Thanks in advance for any response.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2015 #2
    Anyone?

4. Jul 4, 2015 #3

verty

Homework Helper

Have a look at this thread, Mathwonk has given a very similar looking answer.

5. Jul 4, 2015 #4
    Thanks for the reply. I already try to solve every theorem in a book before checking with the proof (well, to the best of my ability at least), it just makes the reading a lot more fun! I guess I'll go with Lang then, perhaps with Bergman's companion to Lang notes online.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted