What type of resistor is needed for a dummy load on a 350W PC PSU?

• Thread starter Glenn Borg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load pc
In summary, a power resistor with a minimum power rating of 350W and a resistance value of 1 ohm or less is needed for a dummy load on a 350W PC PSU. This will allow for the safe and efficient testing of the power supply without damaging it. Additionally, the resistor should have a high wattage rating to handle the heat generated during testing.
Glenn Borg
Hi,
I have a 350 w PSU (PC) with 3.3, 5 and 12 v outputs.

I want to create a dummy load so that i will remain on and output the correct voltage.

However, i found online that a 10 ohm 10w resistor is needed such as this one :
http://www.fabian.com.mt/en/product...tor-wirewound-aluminium-housed-10-ohm-10w.htm

Can you kindly verify if i need one for every output ? (3.3, 5 and 12 v)
Or i connect one end to a Positive 5v and on the other end ground and still can use all outputs ?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Glenn Borg said:
Hi,
I have a 350 w PSU (PC) with 3.3, 5 and 12 v outputs.

I want to create a dummy load so that i will remain on and output the correct voltage.

However, i found online that a 10 ohm 10w resistor is needed such as this one :
http://www.fabian.com.mt/en/product...tor-wirewound-aluminium-housed-10-ohm-10w.htm

Or i connect one end to a Positive 5v and on the other end ground and still can use all outputs ?

Thanks
PC power supplies often have a minimum output current on one or more of the rails. The datasheet for the power supply should specify those minimum output currents -- have you checked for that yet?

Glenn Borg said:

berkeman said:
PC power supplies often have a minimum output current on one or more of the rails. The datasheet for the power supply should specify those minimum output currents -- have you checked for that yet?

agree with Berkeman, there are those that are like that
and a large majority have a Power On line that needs to be grounded before the PSU will start up and run

ATX power pins.JPG

just permanently ground the Power On line and the PSU should always start up and supply all railsDave

Likes krater
Thanks a lot for the answers, i have managed to install a resistor (6.8 ohms 10w) connected to a 5v output. managed to turn on with a switch on the green wire and ground. so far so good, switches on and off accordingly. Thanks

Likes davenn and berkeman

What is a dummy load for a PC PSU 350W?

A dummy load for a PC PSU 350W is a device used to simulate the power draw of a computer system on a power supply unit (PSU). It allows for testing and calibration of the PSU without the need for an actual computer system.

Why do I need a dummy load for my PC PSU 350W?

A dummy load is important for ensuring the proper functioning of a PSU. It allows for testing and troubleshooting without risking damage to actual computer components. It is also necessary for calibrating the PSU and ensuring it can handle the power demands of a computer system.

How do I use a dummy load for my PC PSU 350W?

To use a dummy load for a PC PSU 350W, you will need to connect it to the PSU using the appropriate connectors. Once connected, the dummy load will simulate the power draw of a computer system, allowing for testing and calibration of the PSU.

Can I make my own dummy load for my PC PSU 350W?

While it is possible to make your own dummy load, it is not recommended unless you have experience and knowledge in electronics. Improperly made dummy loads can cause damage to the PSU or computer components. It is best to purchase a pre-made dummy load for safety and accuracy.

Are there different types of dummy loads for PC PSU 350W?

Yes, there are different types of dummy loads for PC PSU 350W. Some may be specific to certain brands or models of PSU, while others may be universal. It is important to choose a dummy load that is compatible with your specific PSU for accurate testing and calibration.