Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Duncan's encryption uncrackable?

1. Aug 8, 2005 #1
    kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=104357

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2005 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

who's joseph duncan III?

4. Aug 8, 2005 #3
    Wagers? anyone? I'll give him no more than a year untill someone breaks the buffoons code

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  5. Aug 8, 2005 #4
  6. Aug 8, 2005 #5
  7. Aug 8, 2005 #6

JamesU

Gold Member

I thought dylan and shasta groene were taken by their grandparents.

or was that another case on unsolved mysteries? oh, well..

8. Aug 8, 2005 #7
    He reported in his blog that he was using PGP.
    http://fifthnail.blogspot.com

--
    I am working on an encrypted journal that is hundreds of times more frank than this blog could ever be (that's why I keep it encrypted). I figure in 30 years or more we will have the technology to easily crack the encryption (currently very un-crackable, PGP)
    --

9. Aug 8, 2005 #8
    PGP eh? 5 years, and that's being generous.

10. Aug 8, 2005 #9
    To some extent it depends on the exact algorithm being used, but most PGP code is very secure. My mostly uninformed estimate would be in the 30 year range if they are constantly trying to crack it, it will probably be at least 50 until we can crack it fast enough to make it worthwhile to try. Then from there it might take another 5 to actually crack it.

It doesn't mean that this guy is some sort of computer genius, anybody can download and use PGP, it is a very easy system to utilize.

~Lyuokdea

11. Aug 8, 2005 #10
    This guy has some serious psychological disorders. See here and the wiki page for example. Electronically cracking the code shouldn't be the real problem. I reckon this guy left vulernabilities in the code, possibly something as simple as a guessable password, just like he's left clues in most of his cases.

Then again, I'm an amateur psychologist, if anyone has more insight...

12. Aug 8, 2005 #11
    If he had ever stored his secure-diary unencrypted (to be encrypted later), it should be readable off of the hard drive (by an elite data-recovery company, for example) since hard drives cannot be erased.

13. Aug 8, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Somehow I kind of guessed that from his photo and the fact that he's a convicted sex offender and suspected murderer.

14. Aug 8, 2005 #13
    He looks like a chick.

15. Aug 8, 2005 #14
    He is dressed in drag in that photo. Normally, he looks like this:

[​IMG]

16. Aug 9, 2005 #15

JamesU

Gold Member

and he dresses in drag :wink:

17. Aug 9, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He sure is ugly in drag! :yuck:

So, I'm trying to figure out just what it is, but in all those photos (except the one on the far left where he just looks like a geeky kid, sans "sex offender" sign) he just looks creepy. There's just something about the way he looks that if I ran into him on the street, even if I hadn't a clue who he was or what his past was, I'd get a REALLY uneasy feeling. I think it's something about his eyes in every one of those photos that just looks shifty or something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?