Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dunce cap

1. Nov 8, 2005 #1
    What is one supposed to do when faced with a situation like the one here?

I do my best to help when I can, granted that I do make mistakes sometimes. This guy just wasn't following me at all though..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2005 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You "continue to march." You tried. You did not succumb to the temptation to do the work. You demonstrated that mass drops from the calculation (an object of the exercise) --- you move on to the next "customer."

"Batting averages" on homework help are meaningless --- there is never any way of knowing whether the "pitcher" is even playing in the same ballpark as you.

4. Nov 8, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Quote frankly, I never would have bothered to answer such a question other than to have given a pointer to the guidelines that say they need to show their own work first. Don't be tempted to let a student milk you into giving them the whole answer if they aren't showing any effort on their part at all.

5. Nov 8, 2005 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

That person was just plain rude. He's new here. Can't he get a time out?

6. Nov 8, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just don't give them help when they're pushy or rude. There are plenty of other people who appreciate the help and put their effort in and patiently wait their turn for replies who you can move onto helping. The FAQ sticky at the top of each and every HW forum answers their question of why nobody is responding. Feel free to remind them that the people helping already passed the class, so don't need to do the homework again; the person asking for help is the one who is supposed to do the homework.

7. Nov 8, 2005 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If the person starts behaving this way, please report it via the "Report Bad Post". No one on here is obligated to answer any homework questions. So being rude and demanding are out of line.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?