Dune (upcoming movies)

The spice must flow.

I just heard that there will be a new movie adaptation of the classic Dune (1965) by Frank Herbert.
Article on Wikipedia: Dune (2020 film).

And another movie is planned, i.e. the two movies will cover the first book.
I don't think there is any trailer yet.
The director, Denis Villeneuve, is the one who did the two excellent movies Sicario and Arrival.

Dune is one of my absolute favorite science fiction novels, and it's on my top five list, so I very much look forward to this movie (and I also hope there will come a day when Foundation (1,2,3) reach the movie screen...) :smile:

But for now... the spice must flow.

Intro to Dune (1984):

Likes OmCheeto, etotheipi and BillTre

Answers and Replies

I just read in the Wikipedia article that Villeneuve refused to make only one movie as he felt it would not do justice to the quite complex story, and also that he is very aware that Dune is the main inspiration for the original Star Wars:

Wikipedia article said:
He [Villeneuve] stated that "I would not agree to make this adaptation of the book with one single movie" as Dune was "too complex" with "power in details" that a single film would fail to capture.

[...]

Villeneuve said of his vision for Dune that "Most of the main ideas of Star Wars are coming from Dune so it's going to be a challenge to [tackle] this. The ambition is to do the Star Wars movie I never saw. In a way, it's Star Wars for adults."
This is good, I think. He knows his stuff.

I also read on the page of a failed Dune adaptation project by Alejandro Jodorowsky in 1974 ca.
Jorodowsky had high ambitions, :biggrin::

Wikipedia article said:
Jodorowsky planned to cast the Surrealist artist Salvador Dalí, in what would have been his only speaking role as a film actor, in the role of Emperor Shaddam IV. Dalí agreed when Jodorowsky offered to pay him a fee of $100,000 per hour. He also planned to cast Orson Welles as Baron Vladimir Harkonnen; Welles only agreed when Jodorowsky offered to get his favourite gourmet chef to prepare his meals for him throughout the filming. [...]. The music would be composed by Pink Floyd and Magma.
(my boldings)

Likes BillTre
etotheipi
Gold Member
2019 Award
Last edited:
Likes DennisN and BillTre
Wowed at having recently watched David Lean's Lawrence of Arabia for the first time, I hope this remake of Dune will be able to match (even surpass?) the astonishing portrayal of the desert, as depicted in the 1962 film.

Last edited:
Likes DennisN
Dune is such an epic and awesome series. I'm a little surprised they are going for the movie route. It could easily be the next Game of Thrones type series.

Likes Pythagorean, Imager, BillTre and 1 other person
etotheipi
Gold Member
2019 Award

Likes OmCheeto, DennisN and BillTre
Thanks for posting the trailer @etotheipi !
I was quite surprised to hear a cover of Pink Floyd's "Eclipse", but I think it worked well.

Likes OmCheeto, BillTre and etotheipi
strangerep
Science Advisor
Dune is such an epic and awesome series. I'm a little surprised they are going for the movie route. It could easily be the next Game of Thrones type series.
Nah. The Dune books don't have enough opportunities for gratuitous nudity. :oldfrown:

[OMG, that 1984 Dune film was total rubbish.]

• Haha
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Have read all the dune series by F.Herbert. Wasnt impressed by the later books written after Herbert passed away. Have seen the first movies and the series with William Hurt and found them to very close to the story line in action and effects.
Have watched the trailer of the new movie and am NOT impressed at all. Just doesnt strike me as keeping to the story and images. Is that a normal knife he is carrying?. Its supposed to a worm tooth isnt it?
I can see why it would need more than one movie, its a big tale spanning a long time. Its also over the head of most moviegoers to understand if they havent read the books.
Took me two reads (once when I was a teen and later as an adult,mostly) of the original Dune to grasp the whole concept and really enjoy it. Have a hard copy of the original trilogy and enjoy rereading it sometimes.
Doubt wether I will bother with the new movie, it wiil just spoil my mental picture of the whole story. I feel.

Note: Don't watch this if you care about minor spoilers and/or character descriptions.
And if you already know and remember Dune, there's likely not so much to spoil. :smile:

Dune Cast Q&A with Stephen Colbert

Likes 256bits, etotheipi and BillTre
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Seriously. Somebody needs to make it to all the way to God Emperorer and Heretics already. Since James McAvoy basically single handedly salvaged the miniseries he should just return as Leto II and continue on.

One of my hesitations is that one of the great attributes of the books are his thoughts and perceptions. That is a REALLY hard thing to produce on screen.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
One of my hesitations is that one of the great attributes of the books are his thoughts and perceptions. That is a REALLY hard thing to produce on screen.
Yeah, It requires a good actor that can convey a lot through facial expression but can also do narration good. I didn't care much for the Lynch/MacLachlan approach to that, but Lynch was out of his comfort zone over all on Dune, the storyline was probably too straightforward and linear for him :P Loved Lynch/Mclagchlan approach to Dale Cooper in Twin Peaks.