Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Duplicity of statistics

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    Would you agree that statistics can be mathematically misrepresented to prove most related arguments both true and false?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

CEL

Data mining allows any statistical result.

4. Oct 4, 2009 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Depends on what you mean by misrepresented. You can certainly prove whatever you want with lies, but I don't think that's what you mean...

5. Oct 4, 2009 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I would say that proper statistical models usually rely on a very strict application of techniques and assumptions. It is an area that is not well known by most people so it is very easy to use them improperly. It is no different than any other form of mathematics. People misrepresent statistics. The math does not lie.

6. Oct 4, 2009 #5
    That's what I needed to hear.

7. Oct 5, 2009 #6
    If you mean use a statistic in such a way which is dishonest/incorrect, but which the average, non-statistically minded person, would accept as a correct use of the statistic, then I would agree it can often be used this way. I do not know if one could say 'always'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook