Thesis Writing: Is Crying Typical for Advisors?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether it is typical for advisors to want to see their students cry. The conversation touches on the rumors of strict advisors in grad school and the idea that it is necessary to face challenges and push through to succeed. Some participants in the conversation share their experiences with their own advisors, with one person noting that it's important for students to come up with their own ideas and goals in order to become an advisor themselves. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about the nature of science and the delicate balance between nurturing ideas and having them crushed.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Is it typical for advisors to want to see their students cry?

Physics news on Phys.org
:frown:

So the rumors I heard in the first week of my grad school are true!

It's in your head. Supervisors are walking angels...*

* To be continued.

lisab said:
:frown:

":rofl:" would have been more appropriate, :tongue:

Gad said:
It's in your head. Supervisors are walking angels...*

* To be continued.

Lucifer was a walking angel (I hear he lost his wings).

My professors would say:

"Its part of the program."

"No pain no gain."

"Builds character."

"Tears wash the face and cleans out your pores."

"Sobbing opens up the airways."

My advisor would say:

"This is not thesis quality"

"It's ok, you have weekends and evenings, too"

"Anybody can list procedures and facts"

and then once I spend countless all-nighters on revisions:

"Perfect! Did you do the other things we discussed?"

:cry:

well... you're almost out... since its your thesis. think of it that way, and it doesn't seem so bad!

Yeah, it's not a big deal; just enough to justify whining.

Pythagorean said:
Yeah, it's not a big deal; just enough to justify whining.

yeah, its the new grad students that need to whine. first other classes, then jackson, then some other classes, then research, then the thesis... damn makes me want to just go to sleep already.

Pythagorean said:
Is it typical for advisors to want to see their students cry?

Of course. Advisers gain their tremendous powers from the tears of students.

Much better to have a strict thesis advisor with high expectations and well thought out goals than one who doesn't set any specific goals for you, expecting you to basically guide yourself with guesses down the road..

The example quotes you listed would only make a sensitive baby cry. However, any advisor trying to make you cry on purpose is unprofessional and a sick person.

DragonPetter said:
Much better to have a strict thesis advisor with high expectations and well thought out goals than one who doesn't set any specific goals for you, expecting you to basically guide yourself with guesses down the road..

Really? What happens when you need to come up with your own ideas or set your own goals?

matt.o said:
Really? What happens when you need to come up with your own ideas or set your own goals?

That's when you become the adviser.

I actually do come up with (many of) my own ideas and set my own goals... and watch many of them get crushed/demolished/obliterated/maimed/annihilated/destroyed/etc. Of course, my adviser brings a lot of intellectual merit (not so much goal setting, leaves most of that to me) but she likes me to nurture, care for, and grow my own little flowers of delicate and expendable hypotheses so that she can crush/demolish/obliterate/maim/etc. them.

(I'm terribly over-dramatizing this)

That's science for you!

1. What causes advisors to cry during thesis writing?

Advisors may cry during thesis writing due to feelings of frustration, disappointment, or stress. They may also become emotional when they see their students struggling or putting in a lot of effort.

2. Is crying a sign of weakness in an advisor?

No, crying is a natural human response and is not a sign of weakness. Advisors are invested in their students' success and may become emotional when they see their students facing challenges.

3. How can a student handle their advisor crying during thesis writing?

It is important to remember that your advisor is human and may become emotional during the thesis writing process. You can offer support and try to understand their perspective. It may also be helpful to communicate openly and address any concerns they may have.

4. Is it common for advisors to cry during thesis writing?

It is not uncommon for advisors to cry during thesis writing, especially if they have a strong relationship with their students. However, every advisor is different and may have different emotional responses to the process.

5. What can cause tension between advisors and students during thesis writing?

Tension between advisors and students during thesis writing can be caused by a variety of factors, such as differing expectations, communication issues, or conflicting ideas. It is important for both parties to communicate openly and address any concerns to prevent tension from escalating.