Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dust-born Bacteria, Fungus, & Viruses

1. Apr 24, 2005 #1

SOS2008

Gold Member

Research is being conducted at ASU regarding the decreasing number of amphibian species due to Batrachochytrium Dendrobatidis, which I believe is a virus. Elsewhere research has been conducted regarding loss of coral reefs, specifically sea fan disease. In relation to the sea fan disease, recently asthma is being found among children in Trinidad, previously uncommon. Both the coral reefs and humans are being affected by dust blowing across the Atlantic from Africa containing a common soil fungus called Aspergillus (due to drought in Africa, possibly an effect of global warming).

But my thought/question is that dust being blown around the globe may be the cause of many things, and while plants and life forms such as amphibians may show effects first, it would seem the increase of asthma everywhere is an early indicator in humans. Is there any cooperation of research to see if there is a connection? Just wondering...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

SOS, can you clarify your question? Do you want to know about this specific issue with Aspergillus (which may be better suited for discussion in biology), or do you want to know about the politics of international research efforts (in which case this is the right place to continue the discussion)?

4. Apr 25, 2005 #3

SOS2008

Gold Member

I meant to post this in biology, so made a request to move this post there. My question is more about different findings in different parts of the world and whether there may be any connection between these findings. (Thanks.)

5. Apr 25, 2005 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I was wondering why this was in politics. Moved. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?