1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dust Equipartitions

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    calculate the rms (root-mean-square) speed v_rms of these particles, assuming them to be spheres of diameter 5 \; \mu {\rm m} and density 2 \; {\rm g}/{\rm cm}^3 = 2000 \; {\rm kg}/{\rm m^3}. The mass of such a dust particle is 1.31 \times 10^{-13} \; \rm kg.
    Express your answer in millimeters per second to one decimal place only.

So I found out from the previous problem that the equation to use is:

v_rms =\sqrt{\left(\frac{\left(3k_{B}T\right)}{\left({\rho}\left(\frac{4}{3}\right){\pi}\left(\frac{d}{2}\right)^{3}\right)}\right)}

And after I plugged everything into the equation, I got 3*10^13 mm/s as the answer.

I am pretty sure that I converted everything to the right units, I double checked my work a few times already, I don't know what I 've done wrong.

Please help?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi doggieslover! :smile:

Since nobody's replied in over 36 hours, maybe they can't read it … so here's a translation :rolleyes:

4. Dec 12, 2008 #3

turin

Homework Helper

What did you use for T, and why? Do you understand the meaning of this formula?

5. Dec 13, 2008 #4
    T = 290K, it was given in a previous problem, I forgot to incorporate it in here.

I solved it already, the answer is .3mm/s, I probably just converted something wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?