What is the dust-to-gas ratio in oxygen-poor galaxies?

In summary, the largest possible dust-to-gas ratio in mass is the largest possible silicate dust-to-gas ratio in mass.
newgate
Hello,
Assuming that dust is formed by silicates with Mg and Fe. What is the largest possible silicate dust-to-gas ratio in mass?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
newgate said:
Hello,
Assuming that dust is formed by silicates with Mg and Fe. What is the largest possible silicate dust-to-gas ratio in mass?

hi

well since you have used an A tag, I assume you are a university post graduate.
What research have you do some far on this very vague topic you have posted ?

What dust to gas ratio are you talking about ?Dave

Hi Dave,
Now I'm just reading something about interstellar medium ISL and what I find is that the ISM constituted by gas and dust. The gas is mainly composed by hydrogen and helium and also small quantities of heavy elements! The dust is composed by small grains of solid materials namely silicates. And during lectures I faced "dust to gas ratio" but I don't know what is it and how to calculate it!

Any help?

Not my field but Google can find papers with titles such as. "Variation between dust and gas in the diffuse interstellar medium". Seems to have lots of info on the methods used to measure and calculate the ratio.

Likes newgate and russ_watters
newgate said:
Hello,

I'll give this a non advanced answer.

The Earth and Moon exist. They have similar composition. After Theia collided with Earth there was a cloud of silicate material around earth. There would have been very little gas in that cloud.
Some photos like hubble's pillars of creation show material clumping together in space while also being subjected to an intense stellar radiation and wind. I can imagine there are many circumstances where small planetoids made of silicates are blown more slowly than gas molecules. That allows for high concentrations of silicates.
The zodiacal dust is low in gas.

There is no upper limit to the ratio.

Likes newgate
See the feature article on oxygen-poor galaxies in the https://www.skyandtelescope.com/sky-and-telescope-magazine/inside-april-2018-issue/ issue of Sky & Telescope.

The dust-to-gas ratio varies with the metallicity of a galaxy. For giant galaxies, like the Milky Way, the dust-to-gas ratio is on the order of 1%. For the Magellanic Clouds, which are smaller than the Milky Way and thus more metal-poor, the dust-to-gas ratio is lower. And for the most metal-poor galaxies, such as I Zwicky 18, the dust-to-gas ratio is roughly 0.001%, as stated in the Sky & Telescope article, which also includes a color image of the galaxy. Note, though, that this percentage is somewhat uncertain.

Likes newgate

What is dust to gas ratio in mass?

The dust to gas ratio in mass is a measure of the amount of solid particles (dust) present in a given volume of gas. It is typically expressed as the mass of dust divided by the mass of gas in the same volume.

Why is the dust to gas ratio in mass important?

The dust to gas ratio in mass is important because it can provide insights into the composition and evolution of a system. It can also help us understand the processes involved in the formation of stars and planets.

How is the dust to gas ratio in mass measured?

The dust to gas ratio in mass is measured using various techniques, such as spectroscopy and imaging. These methods allow us to detect and quantify the amount of dust and gas present in a given volume.

What factors can affect the dust to gas ratio in mass?

The dust to gas ratio in mass can be influenced by various factors, including the age and composition of the system, as well as external factors such as radiation and magnetic fields.

Are there any applications of studying the dust to gas ratio in mass?

Yes, studying the dust to gas ratio in mass has many applications in astrophysics, such as understanding the formation and evolution of planetary systems, and also in other fields such as atmospheric science and environmental monitoring.