Help With Converting VHS Files to DVD

• Thread starter jimbuk5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary: So it is not a format problem.DVD players normally play DVD ifo files not wmv video clips. But some DVD players do accept wmv videos, so can you check if your DVD player has wmv support?Windows Movie Maker [available with XP... not sure about Vista] can create a DVD [viewable on typical DVD players] from .wmv videos. Depending on the target DVD player, you may find that it is picky about the DVD media format (DVD+R vs DVD-R.. and possibly DVD+/-RW).Is there anyway where you could just take the DVI or VGA output or even S-Video output and input it into the T.V.? Or even the back
jimbuk5
Please help.After quite some difficulty, I have converted our family video tapes to the computer as .wmv files .I have tried using software to burn them onto discs but these are not being accepted by my outside dvd player and cannot be played .If it is a format problem , how do I know what the correct format should be ? Thankyou

Computer science news on Phys.org
DVD players normally play DVD ifo files not wmv video clips. But some DVD players do accept wmv videos, so can you check if your DVD player has wmv support?

Windows Movie Maker [available with XP... not sure about Vista] can create a DVD [viewable on typical DVD players] from .wmv videos. Depending on the target DVD player, you may find that it is picky about the DVD media format (DVD+R vs DVD-R.. and possibly DVD+/-RW).

I'd be curious to know of other DVD authoring solutions... preferably freeware... and full-featured and reliable.

Just an unrelated question, why did you sign up to a physics forum for IT support?

Capuchin said:
Just an unrelated question, why did you sign up to a physics forum for IT support?

Why wouldn't he? It is the computers section. Also maybe he will come back at a later date for questions like this or even just for general discussion. Many other forums are not as useful as this one.

Is there anyway where you could just take the DVI or VGA output or even S-Video output and input it into the T.V.? Or even the back of the DVD player? Or do you just want to have it a lot more portable in a DVD format?

Last edited:
jimbuk5 said:
Please help.After quite some difficulty, I have converted our family video tapes to the computer as .wmv files .I have tried using software to burn them onto discs but these are not being accepted by my outside dvd player and cannot be played .If it is a format problem , how do I know what the correct format should be ? Thankyou
If it's not simply a disc format problem then this program is free to try so at least you can see if it works before you buy it. http://www.dvdsanta.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou for all your help.I have solved the problem by using a program called DVD FL
ICK which creates a VIDEO TS folder which has VOB files which are then burnt to disc

1. How do I convert VHS files to DVD?

To convert VHS files to DVD, you will need a VHS to DVD converter. This device connects your VHS player to your computer and allows you to transfer the VHS files onto the computer. Once the files are on your computer, you can use DVD burning software to create a DVD with the VHS files.

2. What equipment do I need for VHS to DVD conversion?

To convert VHS files to DVD, you will need a VHS player, a DVD burner, a computer, and a VHS to DVD converter. The converter can be a physical device or software that can be installed on your computer.

3. Can I convert VHS files to DVD myself or do I need professional help?

You can convert VHS files to DVD yourself with the right equipment and software. However, if you are not familiar with the process, it may be best to seek professional help to ensure the quality of the conversion.

4. Are there any risks involved in converting VHS files to DVD?

There are minimal risks involved in converting VHS files to DVD as long as you use the correct equipment and follow the instructions carefully. However, there is always a chance of the VHS tapes getting damaged during the conversion process.

5. How long does it take to convert VHS files to DVD?

The time it takes to convert VHS files to DVD depends on the length of the VHS tapes and the speed of your DVD burner. On average, it can take anywhere from 2-3 hours to convert a 2-hour VHS tape to DVD.