Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DVD output to colour LEDs

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    Hello,

I am working on a sound/light installation at the moment and was hoping that someone on here might be able to help me with a question i have.

I would like to use the composite output from a DVD player to control the intensity and hue of LED light (or 3 (RGB) if need be). So essentially the LED will act in the same way as a projector/television would however is smaller and cheaper :).

I'm not sure if there i something like this on the market or if this is even achievable.

Any help would be much appreciated.

George

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A frame of video contains all kinds of different colors and intensities throughout -- how are you going to decide which of the millions of colors present in the image will end up on your tri-color LED?

- Warren

4. Sep 26, 2008 #3
    Hi Warren

The source footage has all equal colour and intensity across the frame, but changes as time progresses. Thus each pixel is identical at points throughout.

George

5. Sep 27, 2008 #4

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You would need to decode the composite output from the DVD player into RGB outputs.
    You could connect your display to the monitor output of a computer.
    Or scavenge some of the circuitry from an old TV.
    I don't know if a standalone composite to RGB converter is available, perhaps.

6. Oct 5, 2008 #5
    I have done something similar before. Use Max MSP with Jitter, you'll need a video ADC if your using a standalone DVD player, the output interface I used was an Arduino board.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?