Where to Find Dvds and Movies Near You

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary: We use netflix.In summary, you can get your DVDs from a variety of sources, including from your local library, using Netflix, or by buying them from a store.

How do you get your dvds

• Brick and Mortar Stores (blockbuster)

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • $1 Rental Machines (in grocery stores)

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Mail Delivery services (netflick)

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Online stream or Download

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Other

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
How do you get your dvd/movies?

I used netflicks for a long time, but I usually go on movie binges, so I need a blockbuster near me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get most of my movies through blockbuster online now. I don't go into the Blockbuster store too much anymore, but the added convenience of being able to trade in a movie at the store is nice.

Mine are free from my apartment complex, they provide free DVD rental as one of the perks.

Evo said:
Mine are free from my apartment complex, they provide free DVD rental as one of the perks.

They have them in storage, or a deal with blockbuster?

I tend to buy if I possibly can and I've never rented. I like collecting things.

I use on line services, I'm not in a hurry to see them,so its just easier for me to pop them in the mail at work.

Greg Bernhardt said:
They have them in storage, or a deal with blockbuster?
They have them onsite, new releases too. Don't know what arrangement they have to keep them updated.

On the very rare occassions when I rent one, it's from the local video store. I voted 'other', because it's not a Blockbuster outlet (although we have one in town).

I get mine from PPV (PayPer View).

I download mine from Usenet. Arrrrrr.

- Warren

Hullo...
Did you not spend your childhoods with your mother asking, "Why do you want to buy it? Just take it out from the library!"?
I buy books now if I think I'll read them multiple times/get an urge to read them when the library's closed. Same logic applies to DVDs, but somehow there are a lot fewer movies that I invest in than books.
Use your local library!

Agreed. I buy the ones that I know I'll watch dozens of times, such as Spider-Man, X-Men, etc., or maybe a not-so-good one if it's on sale for close to the rental price. Otherwise, it strictly the 7-days/$7 approach.

But I don't get it. Why pay money to rent for a week if you can borrow for free for a week?

those $1 boxes in the grocery store are AWESOME. you just have to make sure you return it the next day though.

I use the three DVD plan from netflix, but have not taken advantage of the 18 hour free online view. That will change when the 100' cable gets put in the attic, my wife has a bad attitude about it being strung from the office, thru the breakfast area, thru the kitchen, thru the dining room, and into the sun room,:confused: just can't understand that woman:grumpy:

I watch my movies on Southeast Asian streaming websites. If its good, I watch it at the theater.

mbrmbrg said:
Why pay money to rent for a week if you can borrow for free for a week?
I wouldn't, but I don't know of any place that would lend me one for nothing. Libraries around here don't have videos. Even if they did, you have to buy a card to remove something from the building.

Netflix and the library. Our library has a good collection of classics, and Netflix has all the television programs worth watching. I just this very minute finished season 3 of Lost. SO I'm a little behind, I can wait.

DON'T NOBODY TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!

Meanwhile I'm going to check out The Wire.

Chi Meson said:

Hmmm. *googling season 4*.

My wife haunts the 2nd hand shops, Picks them up for $20 a handfull. We don't rent, but do own enough DVDs to open a store. (~2000)

Danger said:
Libraries around here don't have videos. Even if they did, you have to buy a card to remove something from the building.
My symphathy. Whoa.
All libraries I've used (both public and university) have carried movies worth watching, and don't charge for a library card (well... if you meet certain criteria anyway: like living/studying in that city/university).

Cyrus said:
I watch my movies on Southeast Asian streaming websites. If its good, I watch it at the theater.

Haha, yeah that's one way of doing it.

You can buy bootlegged movies at some malls throughout Canada too.

I only download mine on bittorrent. I only watch maybe one movie every few months, and I wouldn't watch any at all if I wasn't able to download them.

Other, meaning library. Ours has a much better collection of the classics than any rental store I've ever seen with easily 1000 titles. It also has a loan agreement with several other libraries that are themselves well stocked including the community college. On the other hand, you may have to wait a while for a recent release and there is no guarantee that they will obtain it. There is a procedure for making suggestions for library purchases. We pay for this service through our taxes whether we use it or not.

I'm surprised that only one other person uses the $1-a-day grocery store kiosks (e.g., Redbox). Though I also have a Blockbuster membership, I only watch a couple of new releases every month, and so I use Redbox far more often. Since I became aware of it two years ago, I've probably used it dozens of times, and have only been to Blockbuster to rent a video game or two.

Chi Meson said:
Netflix and the library. Our library has a good collection of classics, and Netflix has all the television programs worth watching. I just this very minute finished season 3 of Lost. SO I'm a little behind, I can wait.

Meanwhile I'm going to check out The Wire.
Most shows you can watch directly from the broadcast company, though the interface isn't optimal. Lost is one of them.

I use netflix for convenience. Where else would I stumble on great movies like Cemetery Man, or A Boy and his Dog, or Man With the Screaming Brain?

Huckleberry said:
Most shows you can watch directly from the broadcast company, though the interface isn't optimal. Lost is one of them.

If "not optimal" is a synonym for "lousy," I agree. I don't enjoy the experience in front of my computer, currently. Though in about 5 years there won't be a difference between the TV and the computer .

I'm too far out in the boonies to travel to rental stores, so when I need an infusion of movies (mainly during the dreary winter months), I use Netflix. I pick the 3-disk plan, let it run for a few months and then cancel when good weather comes around.

Chi Meson said:
Though in about 5 years there won't be a difference between the TV and the computer .

I can watch DivX movies through my PS3 that's hooked to the Tv nowadays. Thats pretty cool.

Kurdt said:
I can watch DivX movies through my PS3 that's hooked to the Tv nowadays. Thats pretty cool.

OK. I know what the TV is ... :duh:

Manchot said:
I'm surprised that only one other person uses the $1-a-day grocery store kiosks (e.g., Redbox).

I've never heard of those. I rent through Netflix. I'm not that picky about movies and for me, I prefer just dropping them in the mailbox rather than driving back to a store with them. It doesn't work out any cheaper for me, because of how slow I am to watch and return them, but I rent enough to "break even" with going to a brick and mortar store, and don't have to worry about crazy late fees (I didn't mind when they were just late fees, but when Blockbuster started that nonsense of charging you for the DVD and then you have to get the charges reversed when you return it, I walked away never to return).

1. Where can I buy or rent DVDs and movies near me?

There are several options for purchasing or renting DVDs and movies near you. You can visit your local movie rental store, such as Blockbuster or Redbox, or check out your nearest retail stores like Walmart or Target. You can also purchase or rent movies online through streaming services like Netflix or Amazon Prime.

2. Are there any specialty stores that sell rare or hard-to-find movies?

Yes, there are specialty stores that cater to movie collectors and enthusiasts. These stores may carry rare or out-of-print movies that may not be available at mainstream retailers. You can also check out online marketplaces like eBay or Amazon for rare movie finds.

3. Can I find movies and DVDs at my local library?

Yes, most libraries have a selection of movies and DVDs available for borrowing. You can check with your local library to see what movies they have in their collection and if they offer any rental services.

4. Is it possible to find free movies and DVDs near me?

There are a few ways to find free movies and DVDs near you. Some libraries may offer free movie screenings or have a selection of movies available for borrowing. You can also check out community events or movie nights in your area that may offer free movie showings.

5. How can I find out about new movie releases near me?

You can stay updated on new movie releases by checking out movie websites or social media pages for your local theaters. You can also sign up for email newsletters from movie rental stores or streaming services to receive updates on new releases. Additionally, you can follow movie review websites or blogs for information on upcoming releases.