Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DVD-ROM Driver question

1. Dec 21, 2006 #1
    I have an older system running win 98 and a dvd-rom I'm trying to make work with the system. I know that when I do a clean format and install win 98 as a new OS, a cd-rom of course works because the drivers are there in the initial setup. OK now I take this dvd-rom drive and stick it in in place of the cd-rom and it seems to get stuck trying to read a dvd that I have. I've tried several different dvd's and they all do the same. It reads a regular cd very well though. Question is...do I have to install drivers for the dvd drive, as dvd players didn't get big till after win 98? And if so any ideas where I can download them from?
    Thank you very much.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2006 #2

Gold Member

What kind of data is on DVD? If its a movie, you'll need a third party software with codecs to play movies. An example program would be Power DVD.

EDIT: another thing. How does windows identify your dvd drive? You can check the device manager? Does it have DVD anywhere in its name or just CD? The device manager is a good place to start to troubleshoot hardware problems. You can see what drivers your dvd drive is currently using.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  4. Dec 21, 2006 #3
    Just plain data is on the disc. Like avi, mp3, jpeg. I checked the device manager and the make and model # is listed. And it is referred to as a dvd-rom, but in the properties it shows up as a standard cd-rom and the driver file details button is not highlighted. BTW I found a driver for the dvd-rom on my recovery disc, but when I try to install the driver windows doesn't go thru the motions.
  5. Dec 21, 2006 #4

Gold Member

Since you know the make and model, you can go to the manufactures website and get updated drivers. But since windows is picking it up, I fear that there may be a problem with your laser. But to be sure that you didnt loose the laser, try different dvd formats (dvd+r, dvd-r, etc) and manufacturers. Also try the drive on a different computer (mayb different windows version) and see if it works. If you dont get anything out of that, then chances are that you've lost the (dvd) laser functionality.
  6. Dec 21, 2006 #5
    Like I was saying windows reads a regular cd that I put into the dvd player rather well. So I guess the laser is OK? It just seems to have a problem with dvd's that it tries to read.
    I will try the manufacterers website in the meantime.
  7. Dec 21, 2006 #6

Gold Member

8. Dec 22, 2006 #7
    Oh I see now. I did not realize that there were actually 2 lasers in the device.
    Yeah maybe it's time to chuck it and just get a new one. They're cheap enough anyway.
    Thanx again
  9. Dec 22, 2006 #8

Staff: Mentor

Yes, as far as windows is concerned, a cd and a dvd are the same device - the interface is identical. If a dvd isn't reading but a cd is, the problem is with the drive.
  10. Dec 22, 2006 #9
    OK. Thanx very much for all the info.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?