Do I Need to Install Drivers for My DVD-ROM Drive?

• Thread starter jmnew51
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a DVD-ROM drive not reading DVDs, only CDs. The person is wondering if they need to install drivers for the DVD drive, and if so, where to find them. They also mention trying different DVDs and checking the device manager, and the expert advises to try different formats and manufacturers, and potentially getting a new drive. The expert also explains the difference in lasers used for reading DVDs and CDs.
jmnew51
I have an older system running win 98 and a dvd-rom I'm trying to make work with the system. I know that when I do a clean format and install win 98 as a new OS, a cd-rom of course works because the drivers are there in the initial setup. OK now I take this dvd-rom drive and stick it in in place of the cd-rom and it seems to get stuck trying to read a dvd that I have. I've tried several different dvd's and they all do the same. It reads a regular cd very well though. Question is...do I have to install drivers for the dvd drive, as dvd players didn't get big till after win 98? And if so any ideas where I can download them from?
Thank you very much.
Jim

Computer science news on Phys.org
What kind of data is on DVD? If its a movie, you'll need a third party software with codecs to play movies. An example program would be Power DVD.

EDIT: another thing. How does windows identify your dvd drive? You can check the http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article01-420 ? Does it have DVD anywhere in its name or just CD? The device manager is a good place to start to troubleshoot hardware problems. You can see what drivers your dvd drive is currently using.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just plain data is on the disc. Like avi, mp3, jpeg. I checked the device manager and the make and model # is listed. And it is referred to as a dvd-rom, but in the properties it shows up as a standard cd-rom and the driver file details button is not highlighted. BTW I found a driver for the dvd-rom on my recovery disc, but when I try to install the driver windows doesn't go thru the motions.
Jim

Since you know the make and model, you can go to the manufactures website and get updated drivers. But since windows is picking it up, I fear that there may be a problem with your laser. But to be sure that you didnt loose the laser, try different dvd formats (dvd+r, dvd-r, etc) and manufacturers. Also try the drive on a different computer (mayb different windows version) and see if it works. If you don't get anything out of that, then chances are that you've lost the (dvd) laser functionality.

Like I was saying windows reads a regular cd that I put into the dvd player rather well. So I guess the laser is OK? It just seems to have a problem with dvd's that it tries to read.
I will try the manufacterers website in the meantime.
Thanx
Jim

DVDs and CDs are read on different wavelengths. Hence two different lasers are needed.

Note the physical differences among the lasers:
http://www.blu-raydisc.com/assets/largeparagraphimage/bd_dvd_cd_laser-12755.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I see now. I did not realize that there were actually 2 lasers in the device.
Yeah maybe it's time to chuck it and just get a new one. They're cheap enough anyway.
Thanx again
Jim

Yes, as far as windows is concerned, a cd and a dvd are the same device - the interface is identical. If a dvd isn't reading but a cd is, the problem is with the drive.

OK. Thanx very much for all the info.
Jim

1. What is a DVD-ROM driver?

A DVD-ROM driver is a software program that allows your computer to communicate with and access data from a DVD-ROM drive. It acts as the mediator between the drive and the operating system, allowing you to read and write data to the disc.

2. Do I need a DVD-ROM driver?

Yes, if you want to use a DVD-ROM drive on your computer, you will need a DVD-ROM driver. Without it, your computer will not be able to recognize or access the contents of a DVD-ROM.

3. How do I install a DVD-ROM driver?

The process of installing a DVD-ROM driver may vary depending on your operating system. Generally, you can install the driver by inserting the disc that came with your DVD-ROM drive and following the on-screen instructions. You can also download and install the driver from the manufacturer's website.

4. Can I update my DVD-ROM driver?

Yes, it is recommended to regularly update your DVD-ROM driver to ensure optimal performance and compatibility with new software and hardware. You can check for updates on the manufacturer's website or use a driver update software.

5. What should I do if my DVD-ROM driver is not working?

If your DVD-ROM driver is not working properly, you can try troubleshooting the issue by updating the driver, checking for any hardware conflicts, or reinstalling the driver. If the problem persists, it may be a hardware issue and you may need to replace the DVD-ROM drive.