DVD-ROM Driver question

• Thread starter jmnew51
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have an older system running win 98 and a dvd-rom I'm trying to make work with the system. I know that when I do a clean format and install win 98 as a new OS, a cd-rom of course works because the drivers are there in the initial setup. OK now I take this dvd-rom drive and stick it in in place of the cd-rom and it seems to get stuck trying to read a dvd that I have. I've tried several different dvd's and they all do the same. It reads a regular cd very well though. Question is...do I have to install drivers for the dvd drive, as dvd players didn't get big till after win 98? And if so any ideas where I can download them from?
Thank you very much.
Jim

Answers and Replies

ranger
Gold Member
What kind of data is on DVD? If its a movie, you'll need a third party software with codecs to play movies. An example program would be Power DVD.

EDIT: another thing. How does windows identify your dvd drive? You can check the http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article01-420 [Broken]? Does it have DVD anywhere in its name or just CD? The device manager is a good place to start to troubleshoot hardware problems. You can see what drivers your dvd drive is currently using.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just plain data is on the disc. Like avi, mp3, jpeg. I checked the device manager and the make and model # is listed. And it is referred to as a dvd-rom, but in the properties it shows up as a standard cd-rom and the driver file details button is not highlighted. BTW I found a driver for the dvd-rom on my recovery disc, but when I try to install the driver windows doesn't go thru the motions.
Jim

ranger
Gold Member
Since you know the make and model, you can go to the manufactures website and get updated drivers. But since windows is picking it up, I fear that there may be a problem with your laser. But to be sure that you didnt loose the laser, try different dvd formats (dvd+r, dvd-r, etc) and manufacturers. Also try the drive on a different computer (mayb different windows version) and see if it works. If you dont get anything out of that, then chances are that you've lost the (dvd) laser functionality.

Like I was saying windows reads a regular cd that I put into the dvd player rather well. So I guess the laser is OK? It just seems to have a problem with dvd's that it tries to read.
I will try the manufacterers website in the meantime.
Thanx
Jim

ranger
Gold Member
DVDs and CDs are read on different wavelengths. Hence two different lasers are needed.

Note the physical differences among the lasers:
http://www.blu-raydisc.com/assets/largeparagraphimage/bd_dvd_cd_laser-12755.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I see now. I did not realize that there were actually 2 lasers in the device.
Yeah maybe it's time to chuck it and just get a new one. They're cheap enough anyway.
Thanx again
Jim

russ_watters
Mentor
Yes, as far as windows is concerned, a cd and a dvd are the same device - the interface is identical. If a dvd isn't reading but a cd is, the problem is with the drive.

OK. Thanx very much for all the info.
Jim