What are differentials and how are they used in calculus and physics?

• I
  • Thread starter FS98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change Dx
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of differentials dx and dy in calculus and their meaning as sufficiently small changes in x and y. It is suggested to view them as basis vectors of the tangent space, with dx and dy replacing x and y respectively. This allows for a better understanding of derivatives and their various interpretations. The question of whether this is a controversial topic is also addressed, with the answer being that it depends on individual perspectives and the level of abstraction needed. Some explanations may mention infinitesimals while others may not, causing confusion and seemingly contradictory explanations.
FS98
Can dx be thought of as a sufficiently small change in x? I want to say that dx is the change in x and change in x approaches 0, but that would just be 0.

So I think it might make more sense to just say sufficiently small. Then when we look at something like a derivative dy/dx we can look at the sufficiently small value of x more closely by finding the limit as change in x approaches 0.

So can differentials like dy and dx be thought of as suffiently small changes in y and x?

In calculus I was told that these things had no meaning on their own, but they seemed to be used quite a bit on their own in both calculus and physics. This was never really explained very clearly. I often see answers saying that it’s too complicated or unimportant for early calculus classes, but we have to use these differentials so that’s always a bit irritating.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is better to consider them as the basis vectors of the tangent space, e.g. ##dx,dy## in two dimensions. This way ##\frac{dy}{dx}## becomes naturally the slope of a straight, the tangent. Differentiation itself can be viewed from many angles. I once listed some and easily found ten different ways to look at it, and I didn't even mention the term slope. This comes from what you want to take as variable: the function, the point of evaluation, the process of differentiation, the result, or the direction of the linear approximation.

Likes FS98 and jedishrfu
fresh_42 said:
I think it is better to consider them as the basis vectors of the tangent space, e.g. ##dx,dy## in two dimensions.
Can you explain what this means in layman’s terms?

Also, is this a somewhat controversial question? I’ve had a hard time looking for answers, partially because some of the answers I’m seeing seem contradictory. Some mention infitessimals, others seem dismissive of infitessimals or don’t mention them at all.

FS98 said:
Can you explain what this means in layman’s terms?
If we have a function ##f : \mathbb{R}\longrightarrow \mathbb{R}## then we usually draw it in the ##(x,y)-##plane, i.e. we have a curve ##(x,f(x))##. Now the tangent at some point ##Q## is a straight line, say ##T##.

Lines in general can be written as ##y=mx+b = \dfrac{\Delta P_y}{\Delta P_x}\cdot x + b## with two points ##P_1=(0,b)## and ##P_2=(1,m+b)## on this line. Thus $$T=\left\{ \begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}0\\b\end{bmatrix}+t\cdot \begin{bmatrix}1\\m\end{bmatrix} = P_1 + T_0\right\}$$ Now ##T=P_1+ T_0## where ##T_0## is a straight line through the origin shifted by ##P_1##. We want to consider our tangent ##T## as an element of a vector space, so we only investigate the direction, the line ##T_0##. As it is simply shifted by ##P_1## to be a certain tangent at a given point, we don't lose information. We only consider the space of tangents as a vector space, whose elements have to be shifted by a certain point vector ##P_1## to get the actual tangent in our graph. But here we're not interested in certain tangents, only in their directions, i.e. ##T_0##.

That might look wrong at first glance, but if we calculate ##f\,'(x)##, we don't have the tangent either, only its slope. E.g. for ##f(x)=x^2##, we get ##f\,'(x)=2x## which is not the tangent at ##x=3##, because we have ##f\,'(3)=6## but the tangent is ##y=6x-9## or ##T_{at \,\,x=3}=(0,-9) + \{y=6x\}##. So differentiation gives us basically the slope and direction part of the tangent, not the actual location in the graph. That's why we are interested to see what ##T_0## does, the tangent shifted such that it goes through the origin, ##T_0=\{y=6x\}## in our example.

Now here's the clue: $$T_0 = \left\{ \begin{bmatrix}x\\y\end{bmatrix}\, : \,0=\left\langle \begin{bmatrix}x\\y\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}1\\-\frac{1}{m}\end{bmatrix}\right\rangle = x\cdot 1 + y \cdot \left( -\dfrac{1}{m}\right)\right\}$$
where the vector ##(1,-\frac{1}{m})## is the normal vector of our tangent, perpendicular to the tangent direction ##(1,m)##.

I've said, that ##dx## and ##dy## should be regarded as basis vectors of the tangent space, i.e. the vector space where our ##T_0## live. So we should not write ##x,y## anymore, but ##dx,dy## instead. The misleading ##x,y## notation is merely due to school math where both, functions and their tangents are drawn within the same graph with ##(x,y)-##coordinates. Just because we don't distinguish them doesn't mean they are equal. It's only for convenience, and now we pay the price, as things are no longer just drawn on a piece of paper.

Therefore we should write
$$T_0 = \left\{ \begin{bmatrix}dx\\dy\end{bmatrix}\, : \,0=\left\langle \begin{bmatrix}dx\\dy\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}1\\-\frac{1}{m}\end{bmatrix}\right\rangle = dx\cdot 1 + dy \cdot \left( -\dfrac{1}{m}\right)\right\}$$
which is the same as ##mdx=dy## or ##m=\dfrac{dy}{dx}\,##, the slope ##m=f\,'(Q)## of our tangent at a point ##Q##.
Also, is this a somewhat controversial question?
No. It's a matter of point of view and the degree of abstraction that is needed in certain situations.
I’ve had a hard time looking for answers, partially because some of the answers I’m seeing seem contradictory. Some mention infitessimals, others seem dismissive of infitessimals or don’t mention them at all.
The infinitesimals are only a short hand notation for the actual limits involved: ##\lim_{\Delta x \to 0}\dfrac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}=\dfrac{dy}{dx}##. They are neither of semantic nor syntactic rigor, but historically grown, shorthanded and to some degree convenient. So whether someone speaks of them and someone dismisses it, depends on the kind of rigor he wants to use. E.g. take a closer look at the limit: there is one limit and the denominator is shrunk, whereas the nominator changes only because of that, not by its own. Despite this fact we still write ##dy## with the same small ##d##. As people usually know what they mean, there is no need to explicitly mention all conventions used beforehand. There is simply more than one way to look at it. It's not really controversial, as long as you don't meet a purist or logician, it's more a matter of convenience, habit and intention.

Likes FS98 and K Murty
It's usually thought of as an instantaneous change.

FS98 said:
Can dx be thought of as a sufficiently small change in x? I want to say that dx is the change in x and change in x approaches 0, but that would just be 0.

So I think it might make more sense to just say sufficiently small. Then when we look at something like a derivative dy/dx we can look at the sufficiently small value of x more closely by finding the limit as change in x approaches 0.

So can differentials like dy and dx be thought of as suffiently small changes in y and x?

In calculus I was told that these things had no meaning on their own, but they seemed to be used quite a bit on their own in both calculus and physics. This was never really explained very clearly. I often see answers saying that it’s too complicated or unimportant for early calculus classes, but we have to use these differentials so that’s always a bit irritating.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/Differentials.aspx

What does "Dx as a small change in x" mean?

"Dx as a small change in x" is a mathematical concept that refers to the change in a variable x, often denoted as Δx, that is considered to be very small. It is used in calculus and other fields of mathematics to study the behavior of functions as their inputs change.

How is "Dx as a small change in x" related to derivatives?

In calculus, the derivative of a function is defined as the instantaneous rate of change of that function at a specific point. This is equivalent to finding the limit of Δx as it approaches 0, which is the same concept as "Dx as a small change in x". Therefore, "Dx as a small change in x" is fundamental to the concept of derivatives.

What is the significance of considering "Dx as a small change in x"?

By considering "Dx as a small change in x", mathematicians are able to approximate the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values at specific points. This concept is crucial in many fields of science and engineering, as it allows for the understanding and analysis of complex systems.

How is "Dx as a small change in x" used in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, "Dx as a small change in x" is used to model and study a variety of phenomena. For example, in physics, it is used to analyze the motion of objects, while in economics, it is used to study the relationship between supply and demand. Additionally, it is used in engineering to optimize designs and in finance to calculate interest rates.

Are there any limitations to using "Dx as a small change in x"?

While "Dx as a small change in x" is a powerful tool in mathematics and science, it is important to note that it is an approximation and may not always accurately represent the behavior of a function. Additionally, it is not always possible to use this concept in situations where the change in x is not small or when the function is not continuous.