1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dx/dt = 3 m/s solve for x(t)

1. Feb 17, 2010 #1
    Hello out there,and pardon my dementia but:

I am a middle aged guy, bordering well on old now, who graduated from professional school in 1986 and I was already an older than most student at that time. I had one semester of calculus in 1973 and slipped through with a C major.
    My calculus is limited to very basic diff and integ and a young upstart resident handed me this today:

dx/dt = 3 m/s solve for x(t)

I am lost. The answer is not zero or some constant I am sure. The two variable business changes everything, right?

If this is a differential equation, nothing in my old notes is helping to enlighten me. Any help would be appreciated.
    If this upstart resident has made a fool of me and the problem is bogus, he will regret it. He says he could not answer it so I don't know what is up his sleeve. I'm thinking that the problem may be just a lot of bull.Thank you. CTF
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2010 #2
    I will bite.

Integrate both sides to obtain:

[tex]\int_{x'=0}^{x} dx' = \int_{t'=0}^{t} 3 dt'[/tex]

That is, [tex] x' |_{0}^{x} = 3 t' |_{0}^{t} \implies x(t) = 3t[/tex].

Edit: I post this full solution because I believe the question is simple enough that there's no point beating around the bush.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook