Is Taking the Reciprocal a Valid Approach in Differentiating dpH/dV?

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the differentiation of an equation and the validity of taking reciprocals of both sides. It is shown that this is a valid approach and the resulting equation can be used to solve for V. However, the process can be tedious and it may be easier to switch axes when plotting. The conversation also mentions a mistake made in the differentiation process but it is corrected.
Borek
Mentor
I am reading an old paper and I have came to the passage shown in the picture:

gunnar.png

k, CA, CB and V0 are all just some constants.

I think I know what they did - they differentiated the first equation calculating dpH/dV and then took reciprocals of both sides of the equation. Is it a valid approach?

I am not able to get the same result solving the first equation for V and calculating dV/dpH then.

Bear in mind I am mathemathically challenged and English is my second language, I can be missing something obvious.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is a valid approach. Let [itex]y=f(x)[/itex]. Obviously, [itex]dy/dx = df/dx[/itex]. Differentiating [itex]y=f(x)[/itex] with respect to y yields

[tex]1 = \frac{df}{dx}\,\frac{dx}{dy}[/tex]

Solving for [itex]dx/dy[/itex],

[tex]\frac{dx}{dy} = \frac 1 {df/dx} = \frac 1 {dy/dx}[/tex]

OK, thank you.

So going the other way (that is solving for V and differentiating), I should get the same result?

Borek said:
OK, thank you.

So going the other way (that is solving for V and differentiating), I should get the same result?

On the way there I think you slightly simplify and easier see the calculation if you combine terms inside the bracket of first eq. into a single fraction and then express that as

pH = k - log(CAV0 - CBV) + log(V0 + V) :smile:

I have to solve for V, having two logs doesn't make it easier.

I tried both manually and with TI 89, but I can't get the same result as the one printed. Will try later again.

Borek, I'll put this up here instead of PM as hopefully someone can check it in case of mistakes er typos. :biggrin:

For the differentiation

[tex]pH = k - log(\frac{C_AV_0 - C_BV}{V_0 + V})[/tex]

[tex] = k - log(C_AV_0 - C_BV) +log(V_0 + V) [/tex]

[tex] = k + \ln 10 [-\ln(C_AV_0 - C_BV) + \ln(V_0 + V)] [/tex]

Then differentiating

[tex]\frac{dpH}{dV} = [\frac{- C_B}{C_AV_0 - C_BV} + \frac{1}{V_0 + V}].\ln 10[/tex]

From this you can already see that the point where the LHS is infinite (the pH against V graph is vertical, or V against pH horizontal) is where
[tex]V = \frac{V_0C_A}{C_B}[/tex].The RHS fractions can be combined giving

[tex] [\frac{\ln10.(C_A - C_B)V_0}{(C_AV_0 - C_BV)(V_0 + V)}] [/tex]

If you wanted to invert this into V = a function of [tex]\frac{dV}{dpH}[/tex], rearrange to

[tex](C_AV_0 - C_BV)(V_0 + V) = (C_A - C_B)V_0.\ln 10.\frac{dV}{dpH}[/tex]

call the RHS R, say, and then express V by solving the unlovely quadratic in V:

[tex] -V^2C_B + V V_0(C_A - C_B) + (C_A V_0^2 - R) = 0 [/tex]

You ought to get the same thing by inverting and differentiating but I think it is more tedious.

You said you want to invert the first equation anyway. I question whether you do :biggrin: - if it is for plotting it suffices to switch around axes when you plot rather than invert algebraically.

For inverting algebraically work with H rather than pH; and instead of k (which is probably a p something) I define k = - log M, (M = 10-k)

Then the first equation becomes

[tex]H = M + \frac{C_AV_0 - C_BV}{V_0 + V}[/tex]

which eventually transforms to

[tex] V = [\frac{C_A - C_B}{C_B + H - M} + 1]V_0[/tex]

or in terms of pH and k

[tex] V = [\frac{C_A - C_B}{C_B + 10^{-H} - 10^{-k}} + 1]V_0[/tex]

Last edited:
epenguin said:
From this you can already see that the point where the LHS is infinite (the pH against V graph is vertical, or V against pH horizontal) is where
[tex]V = \frac{V_0C_A}{C_B}[/tex].

Hardly surprising - that's the equivalence point :smile:

You said you want to invert the first equation anyway.

Whatever I was doing was just to make sure I understand what is going on. And today I had a time to try again - everything is OK.

epenguin said:
call the RHS R, say, and then express V by solving the unlovely quadratic in V:

[tex] -V^2C_B + V V_0(C_A - C_B) + (C_A V_0^2 - R) = 0 [/tex]

Something is wrong, no need for quadratic here:

[tex] V = \frac {-(10^k - C_A 10^{pH}) V_0} {10^k + C_B 10^{pH}} [/tex]

For inverting algebraically work with H rather than pH

Nah, that's about dV/dpH - volume vs potentiometric answer.

This is from the Gran method original paper, BTW.

k (which is probably a p something)

No, that's log(activity coefficient).

Thank's for the help. Yesterday I was not sure about this reciprocal thing - it seemed logical, but I have learned not to trust my instincts when it comes to anything more complicated than multiplication table.

Last edited:
I will work through it again with more calm and clearer head (also had computer trouble today). :blushing::biggrin:
We want to show the students how we make mistakes and are very 'umble. :approve:

epenguin said:
Borek, I'll put this up here instead of PM as hopefully someone can check it in case of mistakes er typos. :biggrin:

For the differentiation

[tex]pH = k - log(\frac{C_AV_0 - C_BV}{V_0 + V})[/tex]

[tex] = k - log(C_AV_0 - C_BV) +log(V_0 + V) [/tex]

[tex] = k + \ln 10 [-\ln(C_AV_0 - C_BV) + \ln(V_0 + V)] [/tex]

Then differentiating

[tex]\frac{dpH}{dV} = [\frac{- C_B}{C_AV_0 - C_BV} + \frac{1}{V_0 + V}].\ln 10[/tex]
Should that be +CB in the numerator (two minus-signs cancel each other)?

What is the difference between Dx/dy and dy/dx?

Dx/dy and dy/dx are both notations used in calculus to represent derivatives. Dx/dy is read as "the derivative of x with respect to y" and represents the rate of change of x with respect to y. On the other hand, dy/dx is read as "the derivative of y with respect to x" and represents the rate of change of y with respect to x. Essentially, they are just different ways of writing the same concept.

Why are there two different notations for derivatives?

The different notations for derivatives were developed by different mathematicians at different times. The notation Dx/dy was introduced by Leibniz, while the notation dy/dx was introduced by Newton. Both notations have their own advantages and are used in different contexts.

Can I use Dx/dy and dy/dx interchangeably?

Yes, Dx/dy and dy/dx can be used interchangeably as they represent the same concept. However, it is important to be consistent with notation within a problem or context to avoid confusion.

How do I calculate Dx/dy and dy/dx?

To calculate Dx/dy or dy/dx, you need to use the rules of differentiation in calculus. For example, if the function y = x^2, then Dy/dx = 2x and Dx/dy = 1/(2x). It is important to keep in mind that Dx/dy and dy/dx are not fractions, but rather represent the relationship between two variables.

Which notation is preferred, Dx/dy or dy/dx?

There is no preferred notation between Dx/dy and dy/dx. Both notations are widely used in mathematics and science, so it is important to be familiar with both and use them correctly in different contexts.