Finding Equilibrium Solutions for dy/dt = sin^2 y

• Thread starter killersanta
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks, that's right. Once you have found the equilibrium points, it's just a matter of determining if they are a sink, source or node. If they are a sink, then it means that the quantity being drained (y) is greater than the quantity being supplied (x). If they are a source, then the quantity being supplied (x) is greater than the quantity being drained (y). If they are a node, then they are in the middle.Thanks, that's right. Once you have found the equilibrium points, it's just a matter of determining if they are a sink, source or node. If they are a sink, then it means that the quantity being drained (y) is greater than the quantity being supplied
killersanta

Homework Statement

I need to find the equilibrium solutions
dy/dt = sin^2 y

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what to do with the sin^2. If it was just sin, it would be easy, 0, pi, -pi, 2pi, -2pi...etc... But it's not, I have a Ti-84 plus calculator. So, i don't believe I can put it in my calculator to find out? what do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're looking for the points where (siny)^2 is zero, surely these are just the same points as siny=0?

Thanks, I was kind of thinking that. There was just no way for me to put it in my calculator to check.

After I find the equilibrium points I have to determine if they're a sink, source or a node. Since I can't put it in my calculator, how do I determine that? Are they the same as sin y or the opposite?

killersanta said:
After I find the equilibrium points I have to determine if they're a sink, source or a node. Since I can't put it in my calculator, how do I determine that? Are they the same as sin y or the opposite?

Instead of worrying about what your calculator can do, you might want to review your notes and text for the definitions of sink, source and node. If you're having trouble understanding those notions, post back here so that someone can help explain them.

I know what a sink, source and node are. Sink, both sides are going to it. Source, going away, node is both. Don't you have to put it in your calculator to see what they are doing between equilibrium's?

sin^2(x) is pretty easy to imagine. It's a lot like sin(x), but it's always positive. (Remember that it's also 1-cos^2(x), which can easily be shown to be always positive).

Thanks, that make senses. So basically the equilibrium points are the same as sin y. -2pi, -pi, 0, pi, 2pi...etc but they are all nodes due to being always positive because sin^2 y = 1-cos^2 y.

1. What is the meaning of "Dy/dt" in the equation?

"Dy/dt" represents the rate of change of variable y with respect to time. It is also known as the derivative of y with respect to t.

2. How is the equilibrium of the system determined?

The equilibrium of the system is determined by finding the values of y where the derivative, Dy/dt, is equal to zero. These values indicate where the system is at rest and not changing over time.

3. What is the significance of the "sin^2 y" term in the equation?

The "sin^2 y" term represents the influence of a periodic function, specifically the sine function, on the change in y over time. This can cause the system to oscillate or exhibit periodic behavior.

4. How does the value of "e" affect the behavior of the system?

The value of "e" is the base of the natural logarithm and it can affect the stability of the equilibrium point. A larger value of "e" can result in a more unstable equilibrium, while a smaller value can lead to a more stable equilibrium.

5. Can this equation be solved analytically?

It is possible to solve this equation analytically, but it may require advanced mathematical techniques such as integration or series expansions. In some cases, it may be more practical to solve numerically using computational methods.