1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dyadic form

1. Jan 8, 2008 #1
    Hi.

Can anyone explain to me what a dyadic form is? It is used here for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_field_integral_equation.

I also have an older book where the author sometimes writes integrals like this:
    [tex]
    \int dx f(x)
    [/tex]
    which I find confusing. Has it got something to do with the dyadic form?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2008 #2
  4. Jan 8, 2008 #3

Mute

Homework Helper

I very vaguely remember a chapter about dyadic forms in my vector calc textbook, but we didn't cover it in class and I didn't really read it closely, but it had to do with giving meaning to expressions like [itex]\mathbf{uv}[/itex] where u and v are both vectors and they are not in a dot product or cross product or anything - the result is actually a matrix, or some sort of rank 2 tensor.

On that page the "dyadicness" is due to the term [itex]\nabla \nabla[/itex] in the green's function [itex]\mathbf{G}(\mathbf{r},\mathbf{r}')[/itex].

There is a wikipedia page on the dyadic tensor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyadic_tensor

I don't know if that's very enlightening. It's not entirely clear to me - I have a better understanding of what a dyadic product is, the article of which is linked to at the bottom of that page, but I haven't looked closely enough to discern if they are essentially the same thing. I suspect they are, or are at least closely related, as the G above is a matrix, so [itex]\nabla \nabla[/itex] is as well.

If we write the [itex]ij^{\mbox{th}}[/itex] component of G as [itex]G_{ij}[/itex], then

[tex]G_{ij}(\mathbf{r}, \mathbf{r}^{\prime}) = \frac{1}{4 \pi} \left[ \delta_{ij} + \frac{\partial_i \partial_j}{k^2} \right] G(\textbf{r}, \textbf{r}^{\prime})[/tex]

where i,j = 1, 2, 3, corresponding to directions r_1 = x, r_2 = y, r_3 = z, and [itex]\delta_{ij}[/itex] is the Kronecker delta, which is equal to 1 if the indices are equal and zero otherwise. The i here refers to the row of the matrix, and the j refers to the column (I think I have that in the right order).

Note that here I paid no attention to the difference between covariant and contravariant vectors, as if I did technically the above thing wouldn't be a matrix but some other sort of rank two tensor, so one index should probably be a superscript, but that's probably getting beyond what you know or care about at the moment.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?