Dynamic equilibrium (I though I understood now went blank again)

The important thing to remember is that in dynamic equilibrium, the total number of moles remains constant, but the ratios can vary. In summary, dynamic equilibrium is when the forward and backward reactions occur at the same rate, resulting in a constant concentration of reactants and products. The number of moles may remain constant, but the ratios can change depending on reaction conditions. In calculations, we assume that the reactants and products act according to their stoichiometric ratios, but in reality, this may not always be the case.
sameeralord
Hello everyone,

It is funny that I thought I understood dynamic equilibrium really well but now I have gone blank again. I can do all the calculations and I understand
Le chatelier principle well. Here are the problems I have.

2A+B <----> C

* If forward reaction equals backward reaction wouldn't those two balance out and be zero. Is the reason why this doesn't happen is because both reactions are continuosly occurring. But please elaborate if you can.

*I checked so many sites on this topic and none of them really talks much about what happens to the moles in dynamic equilibrium. Can anyone tell me what happens to the moles in dynamic equilibrium. I understand that if the reaction occurs according to stoichiometric ratios there would be one way reaction. So roughly when we react 2 moles of A and 1 mole of B do we get like 0.8 moles of C.I'm just asking does something like this happen.

*If in equilibrium the reactants and products don't act according to their stoichiometric ratios why do we assume so in calculations. Do they always provide us with ICL data in equilibrium questions.

If anyone can take their time and at least answer one of these questions I would be very greatful. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
in advance. The first question you ask is a good one. In dynamic equilibrium, both the forward and backward reactions are occurring at the same rate. This means that while overall the concentration of reactants and products remain unchanged (since the same amount is being produced as is being consumed), the relative amounts of each reactant and product may change. For example, if we have 2A + B <--> C, then the concentration of A, B, and C may remain constant, but there could be more A than B, or more C than B, depending on the reaction conditions. The second question you ask is also valid. What happens to the moles in dynamic equilibrium is that the total number of moles of reactants and products remain constant, and the ratios of these moles can change, depending on the reaction conditions. For example, if we start with 2 moles of A and 1 mole of B, we may end up with 0.8 moles of C and 1.2 moles of A. Finally, in calculations, we assume that the reactants and products act according to their stoichiometric ratios because this allows us to simplify our calculations. However, in reality, the actual ratios of reactants and products in dynamic equilibrium may be different.

for your time

Hello,

Dynamic equilibrium is a state in which the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the backward reaction, resulting in no net change in the concentration of reactants and products. This does not mean that the concentrations are zero, but rather they remain constant. The reason for this is because both reactions are continuously occurring, meaning that reactants are being converted into products and vice versa at the same rate.

In the equation you provided, 2A + B <----> C, the equilibrium constant (K) would be equal to [C]/[A]^2. This means that at equilibrium, the concentrations of A and B would be related to the concentration of C by this equation. So, if you have 2 moles of A and 1 mole of B reacting to form 0.8 moles of C, this means that the equilibrium constant would equal 0.8/[2]^2[1] = 0.2. This is just an example to show how the concentrations of the reactants and products are related in dynamic equilibrium.

In terms of the moles in dynamic equilibrium, the number of moles of reactants and products will remain constant as long as the temperature and pressure remain constant. This is because the forward and backward reactions are occurring at equal rates, meaning that the amount of reactants and products does not change over time.

When it comes to calculations, it is important to remember that the equilibrium constant (K) is a constant value that is unique to each reaction at a given temperature. This means that the ratio of the concentrations of reactants and products will always be the same at equilibrium, regardless of the initial concentrations. In calculations, we assume that the reaction is occurring according to the stoichiometric ratios because that is what the equilibrium constant is based on. However, in reality, the reaction may not always occur exactly according to these ratios due to various factors such as temperature and pressure changes.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of dynamic equilibrium. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

What is dynamic equilibrium?

Dynamic equilibrium is a state of balance in a system where the forward and reverse reactions occur at equal rates, resulting in no net change in the system.

How does dynamic equilibrium differ from static equilibrium?

In static equilibrium, there is no movement or change in the system, while in dynamic equilibrium, there is movement and exchange of materials, but the overall concentration or state remains constant.

What factors can affect the state of dynamic equilibrium?

The rate of the forward and reverse reactions, as well as any external factors such as temperature, pressure, or concentration of reactants, can impact the state of dynamic equilibrium.

Can dynamic equilibrium be disturbed?

Yes, dynamic equilibrium can be disturbed if any of the factors that affect it are changed. This can cause a shift in the equilibrium towards the side with the higher concentration.

How is dynamic equilibrium important in biological systems?

Dynamic equilibrium is essential for maintaining a stable internal environment in living organisms. It allows for the continuous exchange of materials and ensures that the necessary reactions occur at the proper rates to sustain life.