1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamic Friction between surfaces

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have a body V1, which is in contact over body V2 over a flat (i.e. planar) surface S. (The planar approximation can be considered a good one). Body V1 is moving, V2 is stationary.

A normal force F exists between the bodies at surface S, acting in point P. This force acts along the unit normal vector N.

The body V1 is moving with a body velocity V.

Q: What is the dynamic friction force between V1 and V2?

I think I found the solution, but I'd like a double check. Or a rebuttal with correct answer...

2. Relevant equations

Ffriction = mu*F, acting opposed to the relative motion of the surfaces in contact.

3. The attempt at a solution

1. We find the relative speed in the plane S.

As follows:
    N = unit normal surface vector in P.
    V = body velocity in point P.

U = orthonormal projection of V on plane S. I think this is the speed the surfaces slide over each other. Is this correct?

U = V - (V dot N)N

2. The components of U have dimension [m/s], but as the friction force is independent of speed, we need to normalise vector U. I.e. we only need to know which direction U has.

U_ = U/norm(U) = [U_x,U_y,U_z]

3. The components of the friction force now become

Ffriction,x = mu*|F|*U_x
    Ffriction,y = mu*|F|*U_y
    Ffriction,z = mu*|F|*U_z

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted