Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamic mesh analysis

1. Feb 19, 2007 #1
    Hello , I am a 4th year ME ,I have as an Final year project to do a dynamic mesh analysis for the blades of a wind turbine ! unfortunately , i dont know how to start since it is the first time I work with the Dynamic mesh . I practiced ont he Fluent softwares when I took the CFd course, so i have an experience with FLUENT. can you please tell me how should i start and whta are the best things an data that i should take! Please i need ur help and i am waitin ur response.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2007 #2
    I have never used FLUENT, but you could create a mesh and analyze it using NASTRAN/PATRAN (a finite element program). It's menu-based program, so there's really no code-writing involved -- very user-friendly!

4. Feb 22, 2007 #3
    I'm very good using fluent 6.1. if ur not a spammer, just add me on the msn i will help you. i'm a graduated engineer, my senior project included a simulation of combustion in an engine using Dynamic meshes :)..lucky you

5. Feb 23, 2007 #4
    Hello

Hello,
    Thanks for your reply , I will add u soon to MSN .
    i think that i will start by the following steps :
    1-Drawing the 3D
    2-importing to gambit
    3-Really dont know how to start the meshing for this problem , am wondering since there is two parts one that will rotate an dother not rotating (the blades).
    also i think that i must use a fine mesh near the blades and coarse in the other place.
    also what about boumdary layer in fluent , do uhave any clue what should i use
    waiting ur reply

6. Feb 23, 2007 #5
    using boundary layers

Well before u use this option u have to delete autosmoothing from Gambit..to do this Edit-->Defaults, then put autosmoothing to a value of zero.
    Then after u open the boundary layer meshing first, the options are pretty straight forward, there are drawing that gambit will show u to explain the options ur gonnna fill up, so its pretty straight forward till here. then u mesh the volume

7. Sep 28, 2007 #6
    I need the step by step instruction to analysis a boat in river ,by the Dynamic Meshing method. waiting ur reply

8. Nov 9, 2007 #7
    same problem here..
    can i export rhinocheros file to fluent?

9. Nov 16, 2007 #8
    my email njmiliangchuan@yahoo.com.cn

:rofl:

10. Jan 7, 2008 #9
    Hi all. I also need the step by step instruction to analysis a fluctuating beam,by the Dynamic Meshing method. The beam is fixed at one end and the other end is simply moving up and down. this is my first time i'm using dynamic mesh. If someone can help, that would be great for me.

11. May 14, 2009 #10
    hi eaboujaoudeh, i saw this thread and i was wondering if i can add u on msn cause im having some trouble using dynamic meshing to analyze a 2-stroke engine. thank u

12. Aug 20, 2010 #11
    also have a same problem.im modeling a savonius turbine.

do you now how to create compiled UDfs that u insert in Fluent?do u create it in Gambit or? sorry,im new at this...

13. Aug 20, 2010 #12
    If he's dealing with aerodynamics, NASTRAN may difficult everything, because the problem must be solved using finite volumes rather than finite elements.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?