1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamic Motion Problem

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A jet-powered flatbed truck has a crate of mass m, which is strapped down to the truck with a tension three times the weight of the box. Find the maximum acceleration without having the box slide. Us= .9, Uk=.7

2. Relevant equations

Fun= SUM
    Fun= ma
    Ff= -(Us) Fn

3. The attempt at a solution

I've figured out the Y components, and resulted in the Ff= 35.3m, my only problem now is where to go from here. I can't for the life of me figure out the other horizontal force other than Ff.

when I attempt the solution, I get

Fun=SUM
    = Ff
    =35.3m

Fun=ma
    35.3m=ma
    35.3=a

I know the answer is -7.7 but I can't seem to think of the opposing horizontal force.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2
    You need to start off with a Free Body Diagram for the crate.

By the way, what is SUM? Fun? Ff? It would really help to put some words with these symbols.

4. Mar 26, 2009 #3
    I apologize, SUM is the sum of all the forces, and Fun is the unbalanced force, in this case it would be force of friction (Ff) and something else. Also Fn is the normal force, and Fg is the force of gravity, and Fa would be an applied force.

My free body diagram includes the box with the force of gravity, and tension acting downward, and force normal pushing it up. Horizontally it has the force of friction resisting the box's movement, but I don't know what it's opposing :(

5. Mar 26, 2009 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook