1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamic Pressure Derivation

1. Aug 18, 2010 #1
    Please refer to this website: http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/dynpress.html" [Broken]

In the "Simplify" step, where does the factor of 1/2 come from? I must be missing something simple...

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2010 #2
    What is the derivative of d(u^2)/dx? How does that differ from the second term in the 'algebra step'?
    This relates to the concept of anti-derivative and integration. Have you studied that yet?

4. Aug 18, 2010 #3
    I get it now--I'm not used to a 'physicist's' calculus. Would it be proper to simply multiply each side of the original equation by 'dx' and integrate each side with the respective variables? This leaves (r*u^2)/2=-p -> (r*u^2)/2+p=0

Is there a reason why this method is not preferable?

5. Aug 18, 2010 #4
    Maybe to re-inforce that a constant of integration is required to specify an initial condition? The method you used does not account for the 'constant' as you have the static + dynamic pressure equal to zero instead of the 'total pressure".

Remember, indefinite integrals require a constant of integration.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook