1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamic Programming to maximize profit

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Trying to maximize the profit of a farmer using dynamic optimization. Each period the farmer has a stock of seeds. He can plant them at a cost c per seed or sell them for p. Every seed that is planted produces [itex]\gamma[/itex] seeds for next period. In period m there is no longer any demand for the seeds.

Profit function [itex]\pi[/itex] = p(1-[itex]\alpha[/itex]t)[itex]\gamma[/itex]xt - c[itex]\alpha[/itex]t[itex]\gamma[/itex]xt where [itex]\alpha[/itex]t is the proportion of seeds kept to sow at the end of the period.

We are trying to maximize [itex]\sum[/itex][[itex]\pi[/itex]t / (1+r)t] from t=0 to m-1

Initial stock of seeds is x0 = 1
    [itex]\gamma[/itex] = 8
    c = 3
    p = 1
    r = 0.1
    m = 3

2. Relevant equations
    Bellman Optimization.

3. The attempt at a solution

Define [itex]\beta[/itex] as 1/(1+r)t
    Motion rule xt+1 = [itex]\gamma[/itex][itex]\alpha[/itex]txy
    We know that there is no demand for the seeds in period 4 so x4 = 0 = [itex]\gamma[/itex][itex]\alpha[/itex]3x3
    This means that x4 = 0

The value function V3 becomes:
    V3 = p[itex]\gamma[/itex]x3

@ t = 2

V2 = max (p(1-[itex]\alpha[/itex]2)[itex]\gamma[/itex]x2 - c[itex]\alpha[/itex]2[itex]\gamma[/itex]x2 + [itex]\beta[/itex]V3

Which using motion rule gives

V2 = max (p(1-[itex]\alpha[/itex]2)[itex]\gamma[/itex]x2 - c[itex]\alpha[/itex]2[itex]\gamma[/itex]x2) + [itex]\beta[/itex](p[itex]\gamma[/itex][itex]\alpha[/itex]2[itex]\gamma[/itex]x2)

Normally at this point I would differentiate and to find the maximum and then recurse the answer back into t=1 but it is a linear function. So I am guessing I need to take some sort of corner soluition but I am not entirely clear how to proceed.

Any tips would be welcome. Thank you.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted