Dynamic sigs and/or avatars

• Thread starter vincentm
  • Start date
vincentm
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

IS this a possibility here? I have a set of images that i'd like to use at least for my sig. I assure they're not offensive images, Just ones of celestial objects.

Answers and Replies

dduardo
Staff Emeritus
You could use an animated GIF.

JamesU
Gold Member
I can't put images in my sig :frown:

I am not sure if I should say this or not, but have you tried using flash in your sig? With <embed> tags. I think that is what flash uses, but it has been a while.

We don't have any plans on implementing dynamic sigs or avatars. Images and HTML are disabled in sigs.

JamesU
Gold Member
why, greg?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think the idea is to keep the signatures simple, so they aren't distracting when people are reading through posts.

vincentm
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
I think the idea is to keep the signatures simple, so they aren't distracting when people are reading through posts.
That makes sense to me :smile:

Moonbear said:
...and bandwidth if you uploaded your image here.

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Animations are annoying and a waste of good bandwidth, IMO. I'm on dial up and waiting for a page to load for the thrill of viewing puppy ears flapping in the breeze is not my idea of time well spent.

Evo
Mentor
Chronos said:
viewing puppy ears flapping in the breeze is not my idea of time well spent.
puppy hater :grumpy:

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I tend to agree. Chronos is a puppy hater. :biggrin:

Seriously, I have visited other forums and the amount of "flair" that users were sporting was completely obnoxious. The animated junk in the signature is something like 20 x larger than the post itself. Between the avatar and the sig and everything else, you have to visually wade through a giant clutter of text and animated images just to finally pick out the user's reply, which is generally something like, "uh huh." :grumpy:

Lisa!
Gold Member
I'm happy that Danger's avatar isn't dynamic!:uhh:

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't hate puppies. They are delicious deep fried.