1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamic Similarity / Reynolds Number

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    Question from Text

Gas (rho = 5.25 kg/m^3, v = 2.0 x 10^-5 m^2/s) is flowing in a 20-mm-diameter pipe. When a gas flowmeter measures the flow as being 0.064 kg/s, it registers a pressure drop of 8.5 kPa. Investigators plan to test an enlarged model that is geometrically similar in a 180-mm-diameter pipe.

(a) What flow rate at 25 'C water will achieve dynamic similarity?
    (b) What would the pressure drop across the water meter be?

Relevant Equations/Info

When T=25'c, H2O: rho = 997.0 kg/m^3 ; v = 0.893 x 10^-6 m^2/s.

R = F_I/F_V

The book gives a table of "flow characteristics and similitude scale ratios (ratio of prototype quantity to model quantity)"; for answering (a), I'll use the one for Mass and Time:

Dimension M: (L^3 rho)_r
    Dimension T: (L^2 rho / mu)_r

Work done thus far

So I'm wondering if I'm using the table correctly:

(M/T)_r = (L^3 rho)_r / (L^2 rho / mu)_r = (L mu)_r

expanding:

Flow_p / Flow_m = (L_p mu_p) / (L_m mu_m)

so

Flow_p = (L_p mu_p Flow_m) / (L_m mu_m) = (.18 * [997.0 * 0.893 x 10^-6] * 0.064) / (.02 * [ 5.25 * 2.0 x 10^-5 ]) = 4.88 kg/s.

I don't have an answer so I'm not sure if this is the correct. Does it look okay to you?
    Would I do (b) similarly? That is, just use the table in like manner? Thank you.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted