Dynamic Similarity / Reynolds Number

In summary: So in summary, the investigators plan to test an enlarged model of a gas flowmeter in a 180-mm-diameter pipe. To achieve dynamic similarity at 25 degrees Celsius, a flow rate of 4.88 kg/s of water is needed. The pressure drop across the water meter would be 478.4 kPa.
lizzyb
Question from Text

Gas (rho = 5.25 kg/m^3, v = 2.0 x 10^-5 m^2/s) is flowing in a 20-mm-diameter pipe. When a gas flowmeter measures the flow as being 0.064 kg/s, it registers a pressure drop of 8.5 kPa. Investigators plan to test an enlarged model that is geometrically similar in a 180-mm-diameter pipe.

(a) What flow rate at 25 'C water will achieve dynamic similarity?
(b) What would the pressure drop across the water meter be?

Relevant Equations/Info

When T=25'c, H2O: rho = 997.0 kg/m^3 ; v = 0.893 x 10^-6 m^2/s.

R = F_I/F_V

The book gives a table of "flow characteristics and similitude scale ratios (ratio of prototype quantity to model quantity)"; for answering (a), I'll use the one for Mass and Time:

Dimension M: (L^3 rho)_r
Dimension T: (L^2 rho / mu)_r

Work done thus far

So I'm wondering if I'm using the table correctly:

(M/T)_r = (L^3 rho)_r / (L^2 rho / mu)_r = (L mu)_r

expanding:

Flow_p / Flow_m = (L_p mu_p) / (L_m mu_m)

so

Flow_p = (L_p mu_p Flow_m) / (L_m mu_m) = (.18 * [997.0 * 0.893 x 10^-6] * 0.064) / (.02 * [ 5.25 * 2.0 x 10^-5 ]) = 4.88 kg/s.

I don't have an answer so I'm not sure if this is the correct. Does it look okay to you?
Would I do (b) similarly? That is, just use the table in like manner? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can use a similar approach for part (b) as you did for part (a). The flow characteristics and similitude scale ratios table gives the pressure drop ratio for flow meters as (L^2 rho^2 / mu^2)_r, so you can use the following equation:Pressure Drop_p / Pressure Drop_m = (L_p^2 rho_p^2 / mu_p^2) / (L_m^2 rho_m^2 / mu_m^2)Expanding this, we get:Pressure Drop_p = (L_p^2 rho_p^2 / mu_p^2 Pressure Drop_m) / (L_m^2 rho_m^2 / mu_m^2)Plugging in our values:Pressure Drop_p = (.18^2 * 997.0^2 / 0.893^2 * 8.5) / (.02^2 * 5.25^2 / 2.0 x 10^-5^2) = 478.4 kPa

Yes, your calculations for (a) look correct. To answer (b), you would use the same approach, using the dimensions of pressure (L^-1 M T^-2) in the table. This would give you a pressure drop of 3.45 kPa across the water meter. However, keep in mind that this is based on the assumption of dynamic similarity, so there may be some variations in the actual pressure drop in the enlarged model. It is always important to test and validate the results in a real-world scenario.

1. What is Dynamic Similarity?

Dynamic similarity is a concept used in fluid mechanics to describe the behavior of fluids under different conditions. It states that two systems are dynamically similar if they have the same ratios of forces and dimensions. This allows us to study the behavior of fluids in a smaller, more controlled environment and then apply those findings to larger, real-world situations.

2. What is Reynolds Number?

Reynolds Number is a dimensionless quantity used in fluid mechanics to determine whether a flow is laminar or turbulent. It is calculated by dividing the product of a fluid's density, velocity, and characteristic length by its viscosity. It is named after Osborne Reynolds, who first described the concept in 1883.

3. How is Dynamic Similarity related to Reynolds Number?

Dynamic similarity is closely related to Reynolds Number because it is used to determine whether two systems have similar flow behavior. At a given Reynolds Number, fluids will exhibit the same behavior regardless of their size or speed. This allows scientists to use scaled-down models to study fluid behavior and then apply those findings to larger, real-world situations.

4. How do changes in Reynolds Number affect fluid flow?

As Reynolds Number increases, the flow of a fluid becomes more turbulent. This means that the fluid is more chaotic and unpredictable, with eddies and vortices forming. In contrast, at lower Reynolds Numbers, the flow tends to be more orderly and laminar. This has important implications for engineering and design, as turbulent flow can cause increased drag and energy losses in pipes and other systems.

5. What is the significance of Reynolds Number in practical applications?

Reynolds Number is crucial in many practical applications, such as designing aircraft, ships, and pipelines. It helps engineers predict the behavior of fluids in different conditions and ensure that their designs will function properly. For example, a high Reynolds Number can cause drag and turbulence on an airplane's wings, affecting its aerodynamics and fuel efficiency. By understanding Reynolds Number, engineers can optimize their designs for maximum performance.