1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamic Soaring

1. Jul 22, 2009 #1

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Dynamic Soaring takes advantage of differeing wind flows seperated by a thin wind shear boundary. Recently the record for radio control glider reached 392 mph (peak speed is over 400mph, but the convention is to measure the uphill return speed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaQB16ZaNI4&fmt=18

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2011 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The current record is 468mph. I made an animation that explains the mechanism in simple terms, by analogy to an elastic collision:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Apr 15, 2011 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is a NASA project based on dynamic soaring:

5. May 1, 2011 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

6. May 16, 2011 #5

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, these guys have reached a level where you need high-speed cameras. I wonder if at some point they will reach the barrier of human reaction time, and replace the manual steering with computer control, guided by GPS or some local transmitters.

I made a new version of the animation.

Most explanations I saw concentrate on the gain in airspeed when you pierce the boundary layer. My main aim was to show where the gain in groundspeed happens, because that's what gets measured by the radar gun.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook