Dynamic Soaring: Explaining the Errors of an Innovative Theory

In summary: If you're descending through wind shear, there is a good chance that the airspeed will fall below the aircraft's ability to accelerate. The pilot might try to add extra speed to compensate, which can lead to a dangerous situation.In summary, the Author of the website believes that Dynamic Soaring is possible by utilising a constant horizontal wind. He also subscribes to the "Downwind turn" myth, all related to a belief that momentum and KE have absolute values and are measured reference the Earth's surface. This is a clear violation of C of E and the error is using the Earths surface as an absolute frame of reference.
RossFW
Hi!

Slightly oddball request.

A nice, but mistaken guy has produced this website-http://www.dynamic-soaring-for-birds.co.uk/

and further written about his ideas here-http://www.bou.org.uk/dynamic-soaring/

He contends that Dynamic Soaring is possible utilising a constant horizontal wind.

This is, of course, a clear violation of C of E and the error is using the Earths surface as an absolute frame of reference.

It is beyond my limited physics skills to clearly explain this.

Could someone with a little more formal training write a brief synopsis of the errors in his logic and, with your pemission, I will direct the Gentleman here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Without a wind gradient, then constant wind is the same as no wind to a bird flying in the air, since the air is the medium that the bird is flying in. The only diffference is the ground speed, but that doesn't matter to the bird unless the bird is flying in some type of ground effect where there is a wind gradient.

In the case of "classic" bird type dynamic soaring with wind shear, it's not clear how much addtional lift is provide by updrafts coming from waves in the water.

Yes, agreed totally- but it needs to be put such that the gentleman understands.

He also subscribes to the "Downwind turn" myth, all related to a belief that momentum and KE have absolute values and are measured reference the Earth's surface.

As to Wind Gradient soaring, while I'm sure the extent to which birds utilise it is unknown, it has been used by Model Gliders to achieve quite extrordinary speeds.

RossFW said:
He also subscribes to the "Downwind turn" myth, all related to a belief that momentum and KE have absolute values and are measured reference the Earth's surface.
What if I put a very large treadmill below birds circling in a no wind condition so that the Earth's "surface" moves at any speed I want it to? Assuming the treadmill doesn't affect the wind (no wind gradient), then does the speed of the treadmill have any effect on the circling birds?

RossFW said:
As to Wind Gradient soaring, while I'm sure the extent to which birds utilise it is unknown, it has been used by model gliders to achieve quite extrordinary speeds.
The most recent speed record I'm aware of is 468 mph == 749 kph (Feb, 2011). Hard to see in this video until the camera guy takes over and reaches a speed of 405 mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfoxjNg-eg0&hd=1

Last edited:
RossFW.. Have you looked at the issue of what happens when descending through wind shear on landing? For example as a glider descends through wind shear (eg reducing head wind) it should in theory accelerate and maintain a constant air speed. However it takes time and height to get a glider to accelerate. It appears quite possible to descend fast enough that the airspeed falls faster than the aircaft can accelerate. The danger is that the airspeed may fall to below stalling speed. To counter this effect in windy weather glider pilots typically add half the wind speed to their normal approach speed to provide additional safety margin.

RCG,

The big treadmill is a brilliant illustration, thanks!CW,

I'm actually a professional Airline Pilot, so considering the effects of Windshear is kind of my stock-and-trade. Yes, if wind speed changes, either through descending through a vertical shear of flying horizontally through a rapid wind change (micro-bursts associated with Thunderstorms being one example) airspeed will vary.

What WON'T happen (but the Author of the web-site thinks it will) is that there will be any variation to airspeed if you change direction in a constant wind.

I think it depends how you turn. Clearly in a nice slow co-ordinated turn I agree with you. But what happens if you just stand on a rudder pedal?. The aircraft will usually skid to some degree. The airspeed certainly changes during that sort of event and a I don't mean due to increased drag but also because the aircraft isn't moving in the direction it's pointing. It's very obvious in a helicopter where it's possible to have negative airspeed.

CWatters said:
I think it depends how you turn. Clearly in a nice slow co-ordinated turn I agree with you. But what happens if you just stand on a rudder pedal?. The aircraft will usually skid to some degree. The airspeed certainly changes during that sort of event and a I don't mean due to increased drag but also because the aircraft isn't moving in the direction it's pointing. It's very obvious in a helicopter where it's possible to have negative airspeed.

yes, but none of that will be influenced by the wind, from the POV of anyone on board the aircraft.

1. What is dynamic soaring?

Dynamic soaring is a technique used by birds and other flying animals to gain energy from the wind in order to maintain flight without flapping their wings. It involves flying in a circular pattern, utilizing the varying wind speeds and directions at different altitudes to gain momentum and increase airspeed.

2. How does dynamic soaring work?

Dynamic soaring works by exploiting the difference in wind speeds at different altitudes. The bird will fly in a circular pattern, using the airspeed differences at the top and bottom of the circle to gain energy. As the wind speeds increase, the bird will gain speed and altitude, allowing it to continue the circular pattern without flapping its wings.

3. What are the potential errors of the dynamic soaring theory?

The main error in the dynamic soaring theory is the assumption that the bird is always flying in a perfectly circular pattern. In reality, birds may deviate from the circular path due to external factors such as thermal currents, turbulence, or obstacles. Additionally, the wind conditions may not always be consistent, leading to variations in the bird's flight path.

4. Can dynamic soaring be applied to man-made flying devices?

Yes, dynamic soaring can be applied to man-made flying devices such as gliders and drones. By utilizing the same principles of energy gain from varying wind speeds, these devices can achieve longer flight times and greater distances without the need for constant propulsion.

5. What are the potential benefits of understanding dynamic soaring?

Understanding dynamic soaring can lead to advancements in flight technology, particularly in the development of more efficient and sustainable flying devices. It can also provide insights into the flight patterns and behaviors of birds, which can aid in conservation efforts and understanding of animal behavior. Additionally, understanding dynamic soaring can also have applications in renewable energy, as it harnesses the power of wind to generate energy.