Dynamic Topology and the Impact of Expanding Spacetime on Subsets and Dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of topology and its relationship with adding new members to the underlying set. The speaker questions how the topology incorporates these new elements and if the dimensions of the topology grow to accommodate them. They also consider if this should be a consideration in quantum gravity. The expert summarizer notes that topology is defined in terms of existing elements and subsets, and adding new points does not necessarily change the topology. They suggest looking into topos theory for a deeper understanding of this concept.
Mike2
Just curious if anyone has ever studied what happens when a topology gains new members in the underlying set. How is it incorporated into the existing subsets whose union and intersection are included in the topology? It seems to me that assuming the universe expanded from a singularity, then more space with more time would add more elements to the underlying set, which is the universe as a whole. When we engrave a coordinate system on this topology (as with manifolds), Do the dimensions grow to incorporate the new elements of (spacetime?)? Are new subsets born which must be included? What? I'm not sure this question belongs here, but it seems it should be a consideration about the basic elements of an expanding spacetime. Shouldn't this be a consideration of quantum gravity? Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mike2 said:
Just curious if anyone has ever studied what happens when a topology gains new members in the underlying set. How is it incorporated into the existing subsets whose union and intersection are included in the topology? It seems to me that assuming the universe expanded from a singularity, then more space with more time would add more elements to the underlying set, which is the universe as a whole. When we engrave a coordinate system on this topology (as with manifolds), Do the dimensions grow to incorporate the new elements of (spacetime?)? Are new subsets born which must be included? What? I'm not sure this question belongs here, but it seems it should be a consideration about the basic elements of an expanding spacetime. Shouldn't this be a consideration of quantum gravity? Any help is appreciated.

First of all the SIZE of the open sets that form a topology is not part of the topology definition, so they can grow or shrink without disturbing their union and intersection properties, which is what really defines the topology. A little teeny torus of Planck dimension and torus as big as the universe are both tori with the same topological proerties.

When you add a metric, then of course size, and change of size, enters in. But again, change of size by itself cannot change topology. Topology change is about "growing handles" and such things. That can happen at any size, and most of the topology-change research contemplates it happening at very small scales.

selfAdjoint said:
First of all the SIZE of the open sets that form a topology is not part of the topology definition, so they can grow or shrink without disturbing their union and intersection properties, which is what really defines the topology. A little teeny torus of Planck dimension and torus as big as the universe are both tori with the same topological proerties.
I'm not sure I was referring to "size". But I am sure I was referring to "adding more elements to the underlying set". It seems necessary if the universe grew from a singularity, that more "points" must be added. If so, then does that automatically mean they are part of the topology? The topology was first defined in terms of existing elements and subsets of elements. Then another point arrives on the seen. Was it simply added to some pre-existing subset of the previously defined "topology"? Is it an additional subset in its own right? Is it not suppose to matter how one defines the subsets of a topology? I don't see where I've mentioned anything related to "size" in the above.

When you add a metric, then of course size, and change of size, enters in. But again, change of size by itself cannot change topology. Topology change is about "growing handles" and such things. That can happen at any size, and most of the topology-change research contemplates it happening at very small scales.

I'm not familiar enough with this subject to see how including unions and intersections of subsets gives rise to various kinds of genus. With a metric, a point is assigned coordinate. So what happens if one injects another point? Does the metric change? Is there an analytical continuation of "coordinates"? I don't know. But are these ideas the subject of a category of study

Last edited:
Mike2 said:
But I am sure I was referring to "adding more elements to the underlying set". It seems necessary if the universe grew from a singularity, that more "points" must be added. If so, then does that automatically mean they are part of the topology?

Mike2

Topology is more fundamental than the notion of a point. In axiomatic set theory, sets can be members (elements) of sets. A topology is a certain collection of sets. The study of topology starts from here. If you want to know what a point is, the clearest way is to think of it as a function from a one element set to some given set. This all happens in the category Set, of course. Then again, I suspect that you had in mind a more sophisticated notion of point, such as an event in a GR spacetime. This gets more complicated, but if you are interested in this question I think you'd like topos theory. :smile:

Kea said:
Mike2
Topology is more fundamental than the notion of a point. In axiomatic set theory, sets can be members (elements) of sets. A topology is a certain collection of sets. The study of topology starts from here. If you want to know what a point is, the clearest way is to think of it as a function from a one element set to some given set. This all happens in the category Set, of course. Then again, I suspect that you had in mind a more sophisticated notion of point, such as an event in a GR spacetime. This gets more complicated, but if you are interested in this question I think you'd like topos theory. :smile:
I appreciate what you're trying to say. But I'm getting the impression that there has been no study of a dynamics of a topology, where points/elements/set-members might increase or decrease. I suppose this would be included in the dynamic of growing or shrinking manifolds. Has anyone ever heard of that? Perhaps that would be difficult since that would appear to be nothing more than a continuously changing coordinate system, right?

Mike2 said:
But I'm getting the impression that there has been no study of a dynamics of a topology, where points/elements/set-members might increase or decrease.

It sounds like you are referring to what Lawvere called variable sets. This is exactly what topos theory is about.

Kea said:
It sounds like you are referring to what Lawvere called variable sets. This is exactly what topos theory is about.
Can you recommend an introductory text? Thanks.

Mike2 said:
Can you recommend an introductory text? Thanks.

A good recent text is:

Sheaves in Geometry and Logic: A first introduction to Topos Theory
S. Mac Lane, I. Moerdijk
Springer 1992

There are other good texts. Just have a look in a decent library. Warning: this stuff is never easy at first encounter, like anything worthwhile!

Cheers
Kea :smile:

Differential geometry would be a good place to start. It is nearly impossible to understand set theory without it.

Kea said:
A good recent text is:
Sheaves in Geometry and Logic: A first introduction to Topos Theory
S. Mac Lane, I. Moerdijk
Springer 1992
There are other good texts. Just have a look in a decent library. Warning: this stuff is never easy at first encounter, like anything worthwhile!
Cheers
Kea :smile:
As I understand it, sheaves are kind of complicated. What would be the prerequisites for this book?

I did some looking at Amazon.com, and I thought it might be easier for me to start with Introduction to Higher-Order Categorical Logic (Cambridge Studies in Advanced Mathematics) (Paperback) , by by J. Lambek, P. J. Scott, at:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521356539/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Could I get your opinion on whether this book would provide an introduction? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might try looking at introductory category theory books. I'm interested in topoi too (but for their logical characteristics) (but I've been derailed from that for the moment), and I've been teaching myself out of these books I've checked out from the library (indefinitely, since nobody else seems to want to check them out. :biggrin:)

Categories for the Working Mathematician -- Saunders Mac Lane

Categories, Types, and Structures (An Introduction to Category Theory for the Working Computer Scientist) -- Asperti and Longo

Categories, Allegories. -- Freyd & Scedrov

in addition to Sheaves in Geometry and Logic.

I generally feel that studying from several textbooks is better than from just one. :smile: For example, when I understand something from Categores, Allegories, I really feel like I know it. But trying to understand that book without seeing the same topics presented in the other ones would be a nightmare!

Oh, I actually picked up a little bit about sheaves from Hartshorne's Algebraic Geometry, but that isn't exactly an easy text either. :smile:

Last edited:
Mike2 said:
I'm getting the impression that there has been no study of a dynamics of a topology, where points/elements/set-members might increase or decrease. I suppose this would be included in the dynamic of growing or shrinking manifolds. Has anyone ever heard of that? Perhaps that would be difficult since that would appear to be nothing more than a continuously changing coordinate system, right?

Seems to me you have in mind questions of conservation laws and entropy - why is the creation of more void, an expanding universe, allowed? Why does the universe expand in short.

The "points" of the universe are Planck-scale. You could also ask why they don't expand as the Universe grows.

To start asking cosmologically realistic questions here, you need to remember that the Planck-scale defines both spacetime locatedness and also energy/mass density. That is the smallest scrap of "flat" spacetime, and also the maximum topological "buckling" of spacetime.

The general mathematical view of a point is very energy-less - and even timeless. So just defined in reference to a flat (ie: continuous) space.

A physically realistic notion of a point of spacetime has to be more complex.

From the above you will see that I'm talking about the expansion of the universe from a hot buckled point to a flat cold void. There is conservation of topology in that one thing is being exchanged for another. There is also dynamism in that one thing IS being exchanged for the other.

If you measure the universe in Planckian spacetime units, it is expanding. If you measure it in Planckian energy density units, it is flattening. The total number of Planckian units remains the same.

Cheers - John McCrone.

Mike2 said:
I did some looking at Amazon.com, and I thought it might be easier for me to start with Introduction to Higher-Order Categorical Logic (Cambridge Studies in Advanced Mathematics) (Paperback) , by by J. Lambek, P. J. Scott, at:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521356539/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Could I get your opinion on whether this book would provide an introduction? Thanks.

That book isn't that easy, either. Moreover, it is more for computer scientists than physicists. Another book you can get online is

Toposes, Triples and Theories
Michael Barr and Charles Wells
http://www.tac.mta.ca/tac/reprints/articles/12/tr12abs.html

This is one of the easier books around. The advice to find a few different books to look at is good. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is dynamic topology?

Dynamic topology is a concept in physics that describes the ever-changing nature of spacetime. It refers to the idea that the structure of spacetime is not fixed, but rather can expand or contract over time.

2. How does expanding spacetime impact subsets?

Expanding spacetime can impact subsets by changing the distance between objects. As spacetime expands, the distance between objects increases, causing subsets of objects to become more spread out.

3. What is the relationship between expanding spacetime and dimensions?

The expansion of spacetime is closely tied to the concept of dimensions. As spacetime expands, it creates more space for objects to exist in, potentially leading to the creation of new dimensions.

4. How does dynamic topology affect our understanding of the universe?

Dynamic topology challenges our traditional understanding of the universe as a static and unchanging entity. It suggests that the universe is constantly evolving and expanding, and that we must adapt our understanding to account for this dynamic nature.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying dynamic topology?

Studying dynamic topology can have practical applications in various fields, such as cosmology, astrophysics, and engineering. By understanding how spacetime can expand and contract, we can better predict and plan for potential changes in the universe or the impacts of these changes on our technology and infrastructure.