Dynamical Equations & Free Body Diagrams: Solving for Net Force and Torque

• Thread starter ~christina~
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a system of masses connected by a string passing over a frictionless pulley. The car has a mass of m_c, while the second mass, m2, is connected to a larger mass, M. When the system is released from rest, the car moves down an incline while m2 moves upward through a distance h'. The problem asks for a free body diagram for all three masses, as well as the use of dynamical equations of motion to find the components of the net force acting on m_c and m2, and the net torque acting on M. The dynamical equations of motion refer to the equations governing the motion of a body, and in this problem, it is possible for Mc and
~christina~
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A car of mass [tex]m_c[/tex] is connected to mass m2 by a string. The string passes over a solid cylindrical pulley, which has a frictionless bearing, of radius R and mass M. when the system is released from rest the string doesn't slip, the car moves down the incline, and m2 moves upward through a distance h' .

a) draw a free body diagram for [tex] m_c, m_2, and M [/tex]

b) Use the dynamical equations of motion to find the components of the net force aceting on [tex] m_c and m_2 [/tex] and net torque acting on M.

c) Use the results of b) to derive a expression for the translational aceleration for the masses in terms of [tex] m_c, m_2, M, h', 2[/tex] and the coefficient of friction [tex] \mu [/tex]

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7160/carhj5.th.jpg

Homework Equations

dynamical equations ==> what is that exactly??

The Attempt at a Solution

a) a) draw a free body diagram for [tex] m_c, m_2, and M[/tex]

I drew it in with a picture of the drawing but I'm not sure the free body diagram of the pulley since I've never drawn a free body diagram of a pulley before. What forces would be on it other than that of the car and block?

b) b) Use the dynamical equations of motion to find the components of the net force aceting on [tex] m_c and m_2 [/tex] and net torque acting on M.I have no clue how to do this part at all.

What are the dynamical equations of motion?

HELP Please

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dynamic equation is the equation of the body under motion. In this problem it is possible that Mc and M2 can remain at rest. You can describe this condition by some static equation. In this problem the tension in the string and acceleration of the car and the mass is same. Using free body diagram calculate acceleration. From that you can find the torque acting on the pully.

hey
for a) it should be McA (in your free-body diagram on M, the Mc needs an acceleration)

for c) is H' the distance, or the rate at which the height is changing. and what is "2"?

you should also note that, since the tension is uniform and the mass of the string is negligible, both of the masses will be accelerating with the same magnitude, but different direction, right?

aq1q said:
hey
for a) it should be McA (in your free-body diagram on M, the Mc needs an acceleration)

for c) is H' the distance, or the rate at which the height is changing. and what is "2"?

I'm not sure what is "2" but thanks for catching the Mc A

rl.bhat said:
Dynamic equation is the equation of the body under motion. In this problem it is possible that Mc and M2 can remain at rest. You can describe this condition by some static equation. In this problem the tension in the string and acceleration of the car and the mass is same. Using free body diagram calculate acceleration. From that you can find the torque acting on the pully.

I have no idea what you are talking about...is it involving sum of F in one direction of one object?

aq1q said:
you should also note that, since the tension is uniform and the mass of the string is negligible, both of the masses will be accelerating with the same magnitude, but different direction, right?

Yes...

but I'm thinking the whole wording of "dynamic equation" is messing with me since I know how to do tension and etc. but I've not heard of "dynamic equation" and I'm not sure what they want...or how to relate that to torque...

What are dynamical equations?

Dynamical equations are mathematical equations that describe the behavior and evolution of a system over time. They are used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology, to model the motion, dynamics, and interactions of physical systems.

What is the difference between dynamical equations and other types of equations?

Dynamical equations are typically used to describe systems that change over time, while other types of equations, such as algebraic equations, describe static relationships between variables. Dynamical equations involve derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a variable with respect to time.

What are some real-world examples of dynamical equations?

Some examples of dynamical equations include Newton's second law of motion, which describes the relationship between an object's mass, acceleration, and the force applied to it, and the logistic growth model, which describes the population growth of a species over time.

How are dynamical equations solved?

Dynamical equations can be solved using various numerical and analytical methods, such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and Laplace transforms. These methods involve breaking down the equations into smaller, solvable parts and using mathematical techniques to find a solution.

What are the applications of dynamical equations?

Dynamical equations have numerous applications in science and engineering, including predicting the motion of celestial bodies, modeling the spread of diseases, and designing control systems for robots and vehicles. They are also used in economics, finance, and other fields to model complex systems and make predictions.