1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamical System

1. Apr 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\frac{dU}{dz} = V, \frac{dV}{dz}=k+cU-6U^{2}[/itex] c [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ

Find the fixed points of the system (these are solutions U=U*, V=V* where U*,V* [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ) and determine the value of k so that the origin is a fixed point of the system

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not too familiar with dynamical systems but I believe that we want

[itex]\frac{dU}{dz}|_{V=V^{*}} = V^{*} = 0[/itex]

and

[itex]\frac{dV}{dz}| _{U=U^{*}} = k+cU-6U^{2} = k+cU^{*}-6(U^{*})^{2} = 0[/itex]

So we want a value of k so that the origin is a fixed point of the system. I'm not quite sure what this means.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi BrainHurts! :smile:
    It means dU/dz and dV/dz are both 0 at (U,V) = (0,0) :wink:

4. Apr 27, 2013 #3
    So the origin is a fixed point of the system when k=6(U*)2 + cU*?

5. Apr 27, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(you mean " - cU* " :wink:)

that's a strange way of putting it, but yes …

so what is k ? :smile:

6. Apr 27, 2013 #5
    yes haha sorry, k is some arbitrary real number, but for (U,V)=(0,0) being a fixed point implies that

V*=0

and 6U*2-cU*-k=0

this gives us

U*= [itex]\frac{c\pm\sqrt{c^{2}+24k}}{12}[/itex], but we want U*=0 which means that means that k=0 right?

[itex]0=\frac{c\pm\sqrt{c^{2}-24k}}{12} \Rightarrow -c=\pm\sqrt{c^{2}-24k} \Rightarrow c^{2}=c^{2} - 24k[/itex] and we get k = 0

7. Apr 27, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, k=0. You didn't really need the quadratic equation to draw that conclusion, but ok.

8. Apr 27, 2013 #7
    Ok going on to the next part of this question

c) Find the equations for the orbits of the system, these are the trajectories in the UV-plane determined by functions of the form V=V(U) and show that a first integral of the orbit equation is

V2=2kU + cU2-4U3+h

So in doing so I got

[itex]\frac{dV}{dU}=\frac{\frac{dV}{dz}}{\frac{dU}{dz}}=\frac{k+cU-6U^{2}}{V} \Rightarrow VdV = (k+cU-6U^{2})dU [/itex] and this gives us the desired result.

So one place where I read what orbits are are objects like V(U), V(V(U))... so I'm not really sure when to stop.

9. Apr 28, 2013 #8
    nm found some good reading on this

http://math.colorado.edu/~jkeller/math4430fall10/Orbits.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted