Solve Dynamical System: Find Fixed Points and k Value for Origin

• Thread starter BrainHurts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the homework statement is that Homework Equations The Attempt at a Solution I'm not too familiar with dynamical systems but I believe that we want to find a value for k so that the origin is a fixed point of the system. I'm not quite sure what this means.Hi BrainHurts! :smile:So we want a value of k so that the origin is a fixed point of the system. I'm not quite sure what this means.It means dU/dz and dV/dz are both 0 at (U,V) = (0,0) :wink:So the origin is a fixed point of
BrainHurts

Homework Statement

[itex]\frac{dU}{dz} = V, \frac{dV}{dz}=k+cU-6U^{2}[/itex] c [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ

Find the fixed points of the system (these are solutions U=U*, V=V* where U*,V* [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ) and determine the value of k so that the origin is a fixed point of the system

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not too familiar with dynamical systems but I believe that we want

[itex]\frac{dU}{dz}|_{V=V^{*}} = V^{*} = 0[/itex]

and

[itex]\frac{dV}{dz}| _{U=U^{*}} = k+cU-6U^{2} = k+cU^{*}-6(U^{*})^{2} = 0[/itex]

So we want a value of k so that the origin is a fixed point of the system. I'm not quite sure what this means.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BrainHurts! :smile:
BrainHurts said:
So we want a value of k so that the origin is a fixed point of the system. I'm not quite sure what this means.

It means dU/dz and dV/dz are both 0 at (U,V) = (0,0) :wink:

So the origin is a fixed point of the system when k=6(U*)2 + cU*?

BrainHurts said:
So the origin is a fixed point of the system when k=6(U*)2 + cU*?

(you mean " - cU* " :wink:)

that's a strange way of putting it, but yes …

so what is k ? :smile:

yes haha sorry, k is some arbitrary real number, but for (U,V)=(0,0) being a fixed point implies that

V*=0

and 6U*2-cU*-k=0

this gives us

U*= [itex]\frac{c\pm\sqrt{c^{2}+24k}}{12}[/itex], but we want U*=0 which means that means that k=0 right?

[itex]0=\frac{c\pm\sqrt{c^{2}-24k}}{12} \Rightarrow -c=\pm\sqrt{c^{2}-24k} \Rightarrow c^{2}=c^{2} - 24k[/itex] and we get k = 0

BrainHurts said:
yes haha sorry, k is some arbitrary real number, but for (U,V)=(0,0) being a fixed point implies that

V*=0

and 6U*2-cU*-k=0

this gives us

U*= [itex]\frac{c\pm\sqrt{c^{2}+24k}}{12}[/itex], but we want U*=0 which means that means that k=0 right?

[itex]0=\frac{c\pm\sqrt{c^{2}-24k}}{12} \Rightarrow -c=\pm\sqrt{c^{2}-24k} \Rightarrow c^{2}=c^{2} - 24k[/itex] and we get k = 0

Sure, k=0. You didn't really need the quadratic equation to draw that conclusion, but ok.

Ok going on to the next part of this question

c) Find the equations for the orbits of the system, these are the trajectories in the UV-plane determined by functions of the form V=V(U) and show that a first integral of the orbit equation is

V2=2kU + cU2-4U3+h

So in doing so I got

[itex]\frac{dV}{dU}=\frac{\frac{dV}{dz}}{\frac{dU}{dz}}=\frac{k+cU-6U^{2}}{V} \Rightarrow VdV = (k+cU-6U^{2})dU [/itex] and this gives us the desired result.

So one place where I read what orbits are are objects like V(U), V(V(U))... so I'm not really sure when to stop.

nm found some good reading on this

http://math.colorado.edu/~jkeller/math4430fall10/Orbits.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a dynamical system?

A dynamical system is a mathematical model that describes how a system changes over time. It consists of a set of equations that determine the behavior of the system over time.

2. What are fixed points in a dynamical system?

Fixed points, also known as equilibrium points, are values of the system's variables where the system does not change over time. In other words, the variables remain constant at these points.

3. How do I find the fixed points of a dynamical system?

To find the fixed points of a dynamical system, you need to set the equations equal to zero and solve for the values of the variables. These values will be the fixed points of the system.

4. What is the k value in a dynamical system?

The k value, also known as the stability parameter, is a constant in the equations of a dynamical system that determines the behavior of the system. It can affect the stability and oscillatory behavior of the system.

5. How do I determine the value of k for the origin in a dynamical system?

To determine the value of k for the origin in a dynamical system, you can plug in the coordinates of the origin (0,0) into the equations and solve for k. This will give you the value of k that results in the origin being a fixed point of the system.