1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamical systems research project question

1. Feb 26, 2007 #1
    I guess this is only for people who are familiar with dynamical systems and circle maps.

Let f be a C^3 diffeomorphism of the circle. Prove that f is infinity renormalizable iff f has an irrational rotation number.

Pf.

Let's do the forward implication first. Assume that f is infinitely renormalizable. Then we can scale it down affinely as many times as we want. We want to derive that f cannot have any periodic points, which then implies that f has an irrational rotation number.

WLOG, assume that f is a D minus function, ie where we cut the circle, c < v.
    So assume that f has a periodic point, and therefore f has a rational rotation number, let it be p/q. Therefore f as a point of period q. Let w be a point of period q.

Now we want to derive a contradiction that either f is not infinitely renormalizable or f is not a diffeo or f is not a C^3 diffeo

My guess is that since f has a periodic point, something gets messed up when we rescale affinely. But I can't get much further than that right now.

For the converse, it's very similar reasoning. If f has an irrational rotation number, then it has no periodic points. So building on the first implication, I wanted to prove the converse. But I'm stuck.

Any suggestions or ideas are gladly welcomed. and don't worry this isn't an unsolved problem or something where I would be stealing credit. It's a little research project in dynamical systems.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?